Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Dec, 2024 01:56 PM
  • ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) seized gold bars worth Rs 3.4 crore and Rs 46 lakh during searches at 19 locations in Mumbai, Delhi and Gurgaon as part of an ongoing probe in Summaya-Dentsu case involving embezzlement of Rs 137 crore, an official said on Thursday.

During the course of search operations by the Mumbai Zonal Office on Tuesday, movable assets including Rs 46 Lakh, foreign currency equivalent to Rs 4 Lakh and gold bars amounting to Rs 3.4 crore have been seized.

Other incriminating documents related to immovable property transactions, and digital devices have been found and seized during the search proceedings, the official said.

ED initiated an investigation under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 on the basis of an FIR registered by Worli Police Station against Dentsu Communications India Private Limited, Suumaya Industries Ltd and its promoters including others for allegedly embezzling Rs 137 crore under the guise of promising future ‘Need to Feed program’ advantages.

ED investigation so far has revealed that trade financing was secured from NBFCs under the pretext of the ‘Need to Feed’ program of the Government of Haryana to supply Agro products.

Accused persons have not received any contract from the government and there was no such program ever in existence either. Accused entities have in fact never supplied any Agro product materials for any such program. However, in order to create a false impression that they were supplying Agro products, the accused created fake records including fake lorry receipts and fake invoices.

The search operations have revealed that the listed entities of the Suumaya group entered into transactions worth Rs 5,000 Crore, wherein only 10 per cent of the transactions were genuine. These transactions were done in a circular pattern that led to an increase in the turnover of involved entities including Dentsu India.

Investors of the listed group entities of Suumaya group were misrepresented to show such artificially inflated transactions leading to huge spikes in share prices. The turnover of Suumaya Industries increased from Rs 210 Crore to Rs 6,700 crore in a span of two years from 2019-20 to 2021-22 which caused the share price to increase astronomically from Rs 19 per scrip to Rs 736 during this period.

Further, the circular transactions also led to an exponential increase in turnover of entities bidding for Government contracts, startups for valuation purposes and others.

Investigations have revealed that this was done in connivance with stock brokers and merchant bankers wherein amounts were paid in cash for commodities contracts on NCDEX and the acquisition of companies, which were later listed on the stock exchange.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Iran waives visa requirement for Indian tourists

Iran waives visa requirement for Indian tourists
Indian tourists do not need a visa for visiting Iran with a new policy coming into effect from February 4, according to a statement issued by the Embassy of Iran here on Tuesday. "Individuals holding ordinary passports will be allowed to enter Iran without a visa once every six months, with a maximum stay of 15 days," the Embassy said in a statement.  

Iran waives visa requirement for Indian tourists

Punjab to hold 11,600 grievance redressal camps in February

Punjab to hold 11,600 grievance redressal camps in February
Eyeing the Lok Sabha polls, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Tuesday launched the "Aap Di Sarkar, Aap De Dwaar" scheme that stipulates holding of more than 11,600 camps at village and locality level to benefit the people. Addressing the gathering near Mohali, the Chief Minister described it as a "red letter day" in the history of the state as people will no longer have to rush to government offices for their routine administrative works.

Punjab to hold 11,600 grievance redressal camps in February

Bombay High Court terms Chanda, Deepak Kochhar's arrests 'illegal', confirms interim bail

Bombay High Court terms Chanda, Deepak Kochhar's arrests 'illegal', confirms interim bail
The Bombay High Court on Tuesday termed the arrests of ex-ICICI Bank CEO and MD Chanda Kochhar and her businessman husband Deepak Kochhar as "illegal" and confirmed the 2023 interim bail order. The Kochhar couple was arrested in the ICICI Bank-Videocon loan fraud case, and in January 2023, a bench of Justice Revati Mohite-Dere had granted them interim bail order.  

Bombay High Court terms Chanda, Deepak Kochhar's arrests 'illegal', confirms interim bail

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi
The infamous Vikas Lagarpuria gang's second-in-command, who was wanted in six cases registered in Delhi and Haryana, was nabbed from Delhi's Khajuri Khas area, a Crime Branch official said on Tuesday. The gangster was identified as Dara Singh aka Dhare, a resident of Najafgarh, and previously involved in 19 cases including murder, extortion, abduction, under the Arms Act, and others.

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway
The death toll in the fire incident in Madhya Pradesh’s Harda district on Tuesday rose to 11, while around 200 others are being treated after sustaining burn injuries. The severity of the blast in a firecracker factory was captured in a video, showing debris striking people filming the incident, highlighting the chaotic aftermath of the explosion.

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community
Delhi government on Monday announced free bus travel for the transgender community in the national capital. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that a proposal will soon be passed in the Cabinet to implement the new scheme. Just as women can travel free in buses in the national capital, the transgender community will also be granted free tickets from now onwards.

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community