Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Dec, 2024 01:56 PM
  • ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) seized gold bars worth Rs 3.4 crore and Rs 46 lakh during searches at 19 locations in Mumbai, Delhi and Gurgaon as part of an ongoing probe in Summaya-Dentsu case involving embezzlement of Rs 137 crore, an official said on Thursday.

During the course of search operations by the Mumbai Zonal Office on Tuesday, movable assets including Rs 46 Lakh, foreign currency equivalent to Rs 4 Lakh and gold bars amounting to Rs 3.4 crore have been seized.

Other incriminating documents related to immovable property transactions, and digital devices have been found and seized during the search proceedings, the official said.

ED initiated an investigation under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 on the basis of an FIR registered by Worli Police Station against Dentsu Communications India Private Limited, Suumaya Industries Ltd and its promoters including others for allegedly embezzling Rs 137 crore under the guise of promising future ‘Need to Feed program’ advantages.

ED investigation so far has revealed that trade financing was secured from NBFCs under the pretext of the ‘Need to Feed’ program of the Government of Haryana to supply Agro products.

Accused persons have not received any contract from the government and there was no such program ever in existence either. Accused entities have in fact never supplied any Agro product materials for any such program. However, in order to create a false impression that they were supplying Agro products, the accused created fake records including fake lorry receipts and fake invoices.

The search operations have revealed that the listed entities of the Suumaya group entered into transactions worth Rs 5,000 Crore, wherein only 10 per cent of the transactions were genuine. These transactions were done in a circular pattern that led to an increase in the turnover of involved entities including Dentsu India.

Investors of the listed group entities of Suumaya group were misrepresented to show such artificially inflated transactions leading to huge spikes in share prices. The turnover of Suumaya Industries increased from Rs 210 Crore to Rs 6,700 crore in a span of two years from 2019-20 to 2021-22 which caused the share price to increase astronomically from Rs 19 per scrip to Rs 736 during this period.

Further, the circular transactions also led to an exponential increase in turnover of entities bidding for Government contracts, startups for valuation purposes and others.

Investigations have revealed that this was done in connivance with stock brokers and merchant bankers wherein amounts were paid in cash for commodities contracts on NCDEX and the acquisition of companies, which were later listed on the stock exchange.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years
The case involved Imran alias Model and Imran, who were found guilty of being part of an unlawful assembly that engaged in rioting and used force against police officers by firing gunshots, which resulted in injuries to a constable in Brijpuri on February 25, 2020. The court noted that firing at the police officers demonstrated the convicts' readiness to challenge the authority of the state, describing this attitude as dangerous for society.  

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Monday met the families of eight former Indian Navy officers who are detained in Qatar and have been given death sentences on allegations of spying. The eight Indian officers have been under detention since August last year by Qatar on allegations of spying for Israel.

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster
The collision between two trains in Andhra Pradesh’s Vizianagaram district appears to be a repeat of the ghastly train disaster in Odisha nearly five months ago. Both the collisions involved two passenger trains and a goods train. At least 14 passengers were killed and over 50 injured in Sunday’s collision between Visakhapatnam-Palasa passenger and Visakhapatnam-Rayagada passenger near Kantakapalli junction in Kothavalasa ‘mandal’ (block).

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun
In a tragic incident, five students and a driver of a school van were killed in an accident in Uttar Pradesh's Badaun district on Monday. The accident took place when the school bus collided with another school van on the Nabiganj road, killing the van driver and a student on the spot.

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza
In her editorial piece published in a leading daily on Monday, Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) chairperson Sonia Gandhi condemned India abstaining from voting in the UN for a ceasefire in Gaza, saying the grand old party's stand on the issue of Israel and Palestine has been consistent over the years.  

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death
A day after a man was killed while performing stunts, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann on Monday announced a complete ban on stunts involving tractors and other agricultural implements in the state. The Chief Minister expressed deep anguish and sorrow over a tragic incident in which a person lost his life during one such dangerous display on a tractor.

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death