Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Dec, 2024 01:56 PM
  • ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) seized gold bars worth Rs 3.4 crore and Rs 46 lakh during searches at 19 locations in Mumbai, Delhi and Gurgaon as part of an ongoing probe in Summaya-Dentsu case involving embezzlement of Rs 137 crore, an official said on Thursday.

During the course of search operations by the Mumbai Zonal Office on Tuesday, movable assets including Rs 46 Lakh, foreign currency equivalent to Rs 4 Lakh and gold bars amounting to Rs 3.4 crore have been seized.

Other incriminating documents related to immovable property transactions, and digital devices have been found and seized during the search proceedings, the official said.

ED initiated an investigation under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 on the basis of an FIR registered by Worli Police Station against Dentsu Communications India Private Limited, Suumaya Industries Ltd and its promoters including others for allegedly embezzling Rs 137 crore under the guise of promising future ‘Need to Feed program’ advantages.

ED investigation so far has revealed that trade financing was secured from NBFCs under the pretext of the ‘Need to Feed’ program of the Government of Haryana to supply Agro products.

Accused persons have not received any contract from the government and there was no such program ever in existence either. Accused entities have in fact never supplied any Agro product materials for any such program. However, in order to create a false impression that they were supplying Agro products, the accused created fake records including fake lorry receipts and fake invoices.

The search operations have revealed that the listed entities of the Suumaya group entered into transactions worth Rs 5,000 Crore, wherein only 10 per cent of the transactions were genuine. These transactions were done in a circular pattern that led to an increase in the turnover of involved entities including Dentsu India.

Investors of the listed group entities of Suumaya group were misrepresented to show such artificially inflated transactions leading to huge spikes in share prices. The turnover of Suumaya Industries increased from Rs 210 Crore to Rs 6,700 crore in a span of two years from 2019-20 to 2021-22 which caused the share price to increase astronomically from Rs 19 per scrip to Rs 736 during this period.

Further, the circular transactions also led to an exponential increase in turnover of entities bidding for Government contracts, startups for valuation purposes and others.

Investigations have revealed that this was done in connivance with stock brokers and merchant bankers wherein amounts were paid in cash for commodities contracts on NCDEX and the acquisition of companies, which were later listed on the stock exchange.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

PM Modi to interact with Asian Games contingent tomorrow

PM Modi to interact with Asian Games contingent tomorrow
Modi will interact with the athletes at around 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday (October 10) at Major Dhyan Chand Stadium, New Delhi. India won its highest-ever medals tally of 107 medals, including 28 gold medals in Asian Games 2022.

PM Modi to interact with Asian Games contingent tomorrow

India’s decision to stop visas for Canadians proving costly for Punjab: Akali Dal

India’s decision to stop visas for Canadians proving costly for Punjab: Akali Dal
India’s decision to stop visas for Canadian citizens - and Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann’s silence on the issue - is proving too costly for Punjabis and the decision is badly affecting lives of thousands of Punjabis and the state is heading for big economic crisis due to this decision, Akali Dal leader Bikram Majithia said on Monday. In a statement released here, Majithia said the decision to stop visas for Canadian citizens has come at a time when wedding season is about to start.

India’s decision to stop visas for Canadians proving costly for Punjab: Akali Dal

Take stand against construction of SYL canal: Punjab Congress to Guv

Take stand against construction of SYL canal: Punjab Congress to Guv
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee chief Amarinder Singh Raja Warring and senior members of the party on Monday took part in a march to the Governor’s office to hand over a memorandum demanding that he take a stand for Punjab against the construction of the Satluj Yamuna Link canal. A huge number of supporters joined the march, coming forward to fight against any decision that would lead to the construction of the SYL canal.  

Take stand against construction of SYL canal: Punjab Congress to Guv

Niramala Sitharaman to attend World Bank-IMF, G20 meetings in Morocco

Niramala Sitharaman to attend World Bank-IMF, G20 meetings in Morocco
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will leave on October 10 for an official visit to attend the annual meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), along with G20 meetings at Marrakech in Morocco. During the visit, the Finance Minister will also hold bilateral meetings with Indonesia, Morocco, Brazil, Switzerland, Germany and France, besides other associated meetings, scheduled to take place from October 11-15 in Marrakech.

Niramala Sitharaman to attend World Bank-IMF, G20 meetings in Morocco

BSP fields five more candidates in Rajasthan

BSP fields five more candidates in Rajasthan
The BSP in Rajasthan came out with a list of five more candidates for the forthcoming Assembly polls on Monday, a few hours after the Election Commission announced dates for elections in five states and the BJP announced its first list of 41 seats. BSP officials, this time, are being extra cautious as its six MLAs became turncoats and joined the Congress soon after winning in the past.

BSP fields five more candidates in Rajasthan

Sikkim Floods: Army undertakes massive operation to reconnect isolated villages

Sikkim Floods: Army undertakes massive operation to reconnect isolated villages
In Sikkim, troops of Trishakti Corps of the Indian Army are undertaking operations at a massive scale to reconnect villages cut off post the flash floods on the night of October 3-4. An Army official said that the focus of the operations are on restoring connectivity to North Sikkim through Chungthang, which was the worst affected during the devastating floods. 

Sikkim Floods: Army undertakes massive operation to reconnect isolated villages