Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Gurnam Singh Charuni backs PM Modi’s pro-farmer stand, slams US tariff decision

Darpan News Desk IANS, 08 Aug, 2025 11:53 AM
  • Gurnam Singh Charuni backs PM Modi’s pro-farmer stand, slams US tariff decision

Farmer leader Gurnam Singh Charuni has strongly condemned US President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a 50 per cent tariff on Indian products. He has called the US decision highly objectionable and unacceptable.

Speaking to IANS on Friday, Charuni praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his firm and clear stand in favour of Indian farmers.

Referring to the Prime Minister’s remarks made during an event in Delhi on Thursday, Charuni said PM Modi’s statement was a bold and much-needed assurance to farmers. 

During the event, PM Modi had stated, “For us, the interests of our farmers are the top priority. India will never compromise on the rights of its farmers, livestock rearers, or fishermen. I know I may have to pay a heavy price personally, but I am prepared for it. India stands ready today - for its farmers, for its fishermen, and for its livestock rearers. We are continuously working to increase farmers' income, reduce input costs, and create new sources of earnings.”

Charuni said the Prime Minister’s position deserves appreciation and full support. “We believe that PM Modi should adopt an even tougher stand against the US so that Trump receives a strong message - India will not bow down. We are with the Prime Minister in any decision he makes in this matter,” he said.

The farmer leader also made a special appeal to the public, urging Indians to unite and boycott American goods in response to the tariff move. “Only then will the US get the message it deserves,” he added.

It is noteworthy that since the start of trade negotiations, the US has been pressuring India to open its agriculture and dairy sectors. India has clearly refused to compromise on this front. PM Modi’s recent statements have received widespread support from farmer communities across the country.

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held
A Delhi Police official said that one of the buyers was a liquor mafia group led by Sumit Anangpur from Faridabad, which purchased stolen luxury cars worth around Rs 20 lakh each, for just Rs 3-4 lakh and used them to hoodwink the agencies to transport foreign liquor to Bihar.

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Is India seeing another Covid wave?
Last week, the country had seen a surge with 18,450 fresh cases, a substantial rise from the previous week's 8,781 cases. The Omicron variant XBB.1.16 is believed to be behind the sudden surge of the cases.

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted
As many as two dozen fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire and the operation lasted more than six hours. More than two dozen fire tenders are on the spot, trying to douse the inferno.

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday
Officials of the central jail have not confirmed his release prematurely. Sidhu on May 20, 2022, surrendered before a court in Patiala in a 1988 road rage case that had led to the death of a 65-year-old man.

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy
Out of total 36 people who died in the heart wrenching incident, the youngest victim was a two-year-old boy, Hitansh, while the eldest one was an 80-year-old woman identified as Jayvanti Devi, according to police. Most of the victims were women.

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre
The Punjab Cabinet led by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Friday gave nod for hiking the compensation due to unseasonal rains by 25 per cent per acre. A decision to this effect was taken by the Council of Ministers at its meeting held here.

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre