Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi CM Kejriwal's judicial custody in CBI case extended till July 25

Delhi CM Kejriwal's judicial custody in CBI case extended till July 25
Hours after the Supreme Court ordered Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to be released on interim bail in the ED's money laundering case, a court here on Friday extended, till July 25, his judicial custody in the corruption case lodged by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the alleged liquor policy scam. Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of the Rouse Avenue Court passed the order upon the expiry of the previously granted judicial custody.

Delhi CM Kejriwal's judicial custody in CBI case extended till July 25

Centre declares June 25 as 'Samvidhaan Hatya Diwas', PM Modi welcomes move

Centre declares June 25 as 'Samvidhaan Hatya Diwas', PM Modi welcomes move
June 25, the day when the Emergency was imposed on the nation by Late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's regime in 1975, will now be observed as the 'Samvidhaan Hatya Diwas', every year, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Friday. Home Minister Shah made the announcement on social media platform X and also shared a gazette notification.

Centre declares June 25 as 'Samvidhaan Hatya Diwas', PM Modi welcomes move

Don’t be nasty to Smriti Irani, LoP Rahul says on X; BJP calls it ‘most disingenuous’

Don’t be nasty to Smriti Irani, LoP Rahul says on X; BJP calls it ‘most disingenuous’
The Leader of Opposition (LoP) in the Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi on Friday used his social media account to appeal in favour of BJP leader and former Union Minister Smriti Irani. Taking to X, Congress MP Rahul Gandhi urged trolls to refrain from spewing demeaning and derogatory remarks against her.

Don’t be nasty to Smriti Irani, LoP Rahul says on X; BJP calls it ‘most disingenuous’

Indian Railways adds 92 general coaches in 46 trains to ‘benefit’ common man

Indian Railways adds 92 general coaches in 46 trains to ‘benefit’ common man
The trains in which coaches have been added include Bengaluru City Belagavi Superfast Express, Chennai Central Hubli Superfast Express, Mumbai Bengaluru Udayan Express, Mumbai Amravati Superfast Express Guwahati Lokmanya Tilak Express, Guwahati Jammu Tawi Express, Further, 22 other trains have also been identified and a plan has been made to install additional general class coaches in them soon, the Ministry said.

Indian Railways adds 92 general coaches in 46 trains to ‘benefit’ common man

Himachal withdraws free electricity for tax payers

Himachal withdraws free electricity for tax payers
The Congress government in Himachal Pradesh on Friday at a Cabinet meeting decided to withdraw the free electricity scheme benefitting all income-tax payers. However, the 125-unit free power subsidy to domestic consumers will continue for all other categories, including BPL and IRDP families.

Himachal withdraws free electricity for tax payers

12 students injured after balcony at Bihar school collapses

12 students injured after balcony at Bihar school collapses
At least 12 students were injured after a balcony of a two-storey private school building collapsed in Bihar's Madhepura district on Friday. The incident took place at the National DAV Public School in Udakishunganj block of the district. The conditions of three of the 12 injured students are stated to be critical.

12 students injured after balcony at Bihar school collapses