Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Amid frequent bridge collapses in Bihar, state govt suspends 17 engineers

Amid frequent bridge collapses in Bihar, state govt suspends 17 engineers
The decision was announced by Chaitanya Prasad, Additional Chief Secretary in the Water Resources Department, and Deepak Kumar Singh, Additional Chief Secretary in the Rural Works Department, who emphasised the state government's seriousness about the issue.

Amid frequent bridge collapses in Bihar, state govt suspends 17 engineers

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister
Known as 'Samudrayaan’, the initiative of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will be a crewed expedition to a depth of 6,000 m in the central Indian Ocean onboard Matsya6000 -- a manned submersible vehicle developed indigenously.

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will pay an official visit to Russia and Austria on July 8-10, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) announced on Thursday. Prime Minister Modi will arrive in Moscow on July 8 at the invitation of the Russian President Vladimir Putin to hold the 22nd India-Russia Annual Summit.

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister
To save groundwater, the Punjab government has set a target to adopt direct seeding of rice (DSR) over five lakh acres, Agriculture Minister Gurmeet Singh Khudian said here on Thursday. He said over two lakh acres have already been sown using the DSR technique, which was 1.72 lakh acres higher than the last year.

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday submitted a chargesheet at a special court here in connection with the blast at Bhupatinagar in East Midnapore district of West Bengal in December 2022 in which three persons were killed. A total of six persons have been named on the 35-page chargesheet.

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52
The flood situation in Assam has further worsened with six fresh deaths reported on Thursday, taking the toll to 52 while over 21.13 lakh people have been affected in 29 of the state's 35 districts. An Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) official said that on Thursday, four persons died in the Golaghat district and one each died in Dibrugarh and Charaideo districts.

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52