Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space
Everybody should go to space, said Captain Gopichand Thotakura after becoming the first Indian ever to tour the edge of space on Blue Origin's seventh crewed flight mission on Sunday. "It was amazing... you have to see it with your eyes," said the Vijayawada-born pilot, after coming out of the space capsule.

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space

Wanted gangster killed in encounter

Wanted gangster killed in encounter
A notorious gangster, also a member of the Himanshu Bhau gang, was killed following an encounter with Delhi Police’s Special Cell in the national capital, an official said on Friday. The accused was identified as Ajay Singroha a.k.a Goli, a resident of Ritoli village, Rohtak district in Haryana.

Wanted gangster killed in encounter

ED files 8th charge sheet in excise policy case; names AAP, Kejriwal as accused

ED files 8th charge sheet in excise policy case; names AAP, Kejriwal as accused
On Thursday, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) S.V. Raju, representing the ED, informed the Supreme Court that a prosecution complaint against AAP and its national convenor was in the pipeline and would be lodged soon before the special court. ASG Raju made the submission as the agency opposed CM Kejriwal’s plea filed before the apex court against his arrest in the case by the ED.

ED files 8th charge sheet in excise policy case; names AAP, Kejriwal as accused

4 killed in Rajasthan accident

4 killed in Rajasthan accident
Four people were killed while 13 others injured when a bus hit a truck on the National Highway in Halena village in Rajasthan's Bharatpur district. The incident occurred when the bus, belonging to Aligarh depot of Uttar Pradesh Roadways, which was proceeding towards Jaipur, hit a truck while trying to overtake a vehicle, one of the passengers said.

4 killed in Rajasthan accident

328 candidates, including 26 women, in fray for 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab

328 candidates, including 26 women, in fray for 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab
A total of 328 candidates, including 26 women, will be in the fray for the 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab, 50 more than 2019, Chief Electoral Officer Sibin C. said on Friday. The state will go to the polls in a single phase on June 1, the seventh and final phase of the ongoing Lok Sabha elections.

328 candidates, including 26 women, in fray for 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab

Mumbai billboard crash accused Bhavesh Bhinde sent to police custody till May 26

Mumbai billboard crash accused Bhavesh Bhinde sent to police custody till May 26
A Mumbai court on Friday sent Bhavesh Bhinde, the owner of the gigantic hoarding that crashed in Ghatkopar claiming 16 lives, to police custody till May 26. Bhinde, Director of EGO Media Pvt Ltd., was arrested from Rajasthan's Udaipur town on Thursday and brought to Mumbai.

Mumbai billboard crash accused Bhavesh Bhinde sent to police custody till May 26