Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Rajnath calls on Sunak during UK visit, discuss enhancing defence ties

Rajnath calls on Sunak during UK visit, discuss enhancing defence ties
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh called on British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak at 10 Downing Street, London, said officials on Thursday, adding that both discussed enhancing defence ties between the two countries. Sunak fully agreed with Rajnath Singh on the need for UK and India to work in the domains of trade, defence and technology. In particular, he expressed hope that the ongoing Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations could be brought to a successful conclusion soon. 

Rajnath calls on Sunak during UK visit, discuss enhancing defence ties

PM Modi to inaugurate India's longest sea bridge tomorrow

PM Modi to inaugurate India's longest sea bridge tomorrow
The PM will also inaugurate, dedicate to the nation and lay the foundation stone of multiple development projects worth more than Rs 12,700 crore in the public programme in Navi Mumbai. The Prime Minister will lay the foundation stone of the underground road tunnel connecting Eastern Freeway's Orange Gate to Marine Drive.

PM Modi to inaugurate India's longest sea bridge tomorrow

Sukhbir Badal files defamation suit against Punjab CM

Sukhbir Badal files defamation suit against Punjab CM
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) President Sukhbir Badal on Thursday filed a defamation suit seeking Rs 1 crore damages from Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann for willful defamation as part of an Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) conspiracy against the Badal family as well as the party. The SAD President filed a civil suit in this regard in the court of the Civil Judge in Muktsar through this advocate and also submitted court fee of Rs 2.29 lakh.

Sukhbir Badal files defamation suit against Punjab CM

Delhi Police nabs accused in cold murder case from Goa after an over year-long pursuit

Delhi Police nabs accused in cold murder case from Goa after an over year-long pursuit
Delhi Police's Crime Branch has arrested a 26-year-old man from Goa for allegedly killing his friend over one-and-a-half years ago in the national capital, an official said on Thursday. The accused identified as Ankit Verma a.k.a Alok Verma, a resident of Uttar Pradesh's Jalaun, was also carrying a reward of Rs 50,000 on information leading to his arrest.  

Delhi Police nabs accused in cold murder case from Goa after an over year-long pursuit

Ram temple gets its first 'gold' door ahead of Jan 22 inauguration

Ram temple gets its first 'gold' door ahead of Jan 22 inauguration
The first golden door has been installed at the Ram Temple in Ayodhya, temple officials said. The door, which is 12-feet high and eight-feet wide, has been installed on the upper floor of the sanctum sanctorum.

Ram temple gets its first 'gold' door ahead of Jan 22 inauguration

At Vibrant Gujarat Summit, US Consul General advocates for deeper US-India ties

At Vibrant Gujarat Summit, US Consul General advocates for deeper US-India ties
US Consul General in Mumbai Mike Hankey on Wednesday highlighted shared values between India and Washington and said that the partmership between the two countries is one of the most consequential in the world today. Addressing a seminar titled 'Shaping the Future: The Evolving India-US Bilateral Relationship' at 10th edition of the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2024 at Mahatma Mandir.

At Vibrant Gujarat Summit, US Consul General advocates for deeper US-India ties