Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case
The remarks from the MEA came after the US prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder-for-hire charges against Indian national Nikhil Gupta for involvement in a foiled plot to assassinate a US citizen allegedly on behalf of an Indian government employee. Gupta was arrested by Czech authorities on June 30 in response to a request by the US under an extradition treaty, according to a statement issued by the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams.  

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case
A 27-year-old man died and another was injured after they were hit by a car in Delhi, an official said on Thursday, adding that they have arrested the accused after scanning over 100 CCTV cameras installed in the vicinity of the scene of crime. The deceased was identified as Karan Gupta, a resident of Vishnu Garden. The injured was identified as Omkar Patle, a resident of Raghuveer Nagar and was undergoing treatment at a hospital.

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab
The accused had also put kerosene on the bodies and faces of both deceased women before setting them ablaze. Police teams have also recovered two pistols along with two magazines and 10 cartridges from their possession.

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram
An inter-state criminal carrying a reward of Rs one lakh was arrested in Haryana's Gurugram, police said on Thursday. According to the police, a crime branch team of the Gurugram Police had nabbed seven people in May 2023 from village Mahendrawada in the Bhondsi area while planning to commit robbery in the city.

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on Thursday approved the purchase of 97 Tejas fighter jets and 156 Prachanda Helicopters for the Indian Air Force as part of a Rs 1.4 lakh crore package that will go to public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), a senior official confirmed. The DAC headed by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also gave the go-ahead for the IAF’s plan to upgrade 84 Sukhoi 30 fighter jets.

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF

PM Modi to take forward G20 steps on climate action at COP28 in Dubai

PM Modi to take forward G20 steps on climate action at COP28 in Dubai
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said that he was looking forward to the COP28 summit in Dubai, to move ahead with the concrete steps on climate action that formed part of the New Delhi declaration of the G20.  PM Modi said that COP28 will also provide an opportunity to review progress made under the Paris Agreement, and chart the future course on climate action.

PM Modi to take forward G20 steps on climate action at COP28 in Dubai