Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius
The air quality in the national Capital continued to remain under the ‘very poor’ category on Tuesday evening with the AQI at 318, according to data from the System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research (SAFAR). Meanwhile the India Meteorological Department said that the maximum temperature in the national Capital was registered at 22 degrees Celsius, four notches below the seasonal average.

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday said that he was relieved as all the 41 trapped workers from the under-construction Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand were rescued safely. He said that it was a well coordinated effort by multiple agencies marking one of the most significant rescue operations in recent years.  

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses
The operation to rescue 41 workers trapped inside the collapsed Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district was halted after the platform supporting the auger machine which is drilling through the debris collapsed on Thursday evening. Girish Singh Rawat, one of the members of the rescue operation team, said: "Drilling cannot be done until the platform is ready. It may take five to six hours to get the platform ready."

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed
The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) said that 100 km of viaducts were ready for the 508 km of the mega Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor project while 250 km of pier work has been completed. The NHSRCL said that on November 25, 2021 first girder was launched while the first km of viaduct was completed on June 30, 2022 in a span of six months.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media
Social media posts of the juvenile who stabbed a 17-year-old over 70 times during a street robbery here, likely hinted at his inclination towards violence or "thirst for blood". The accused minor shared videos on his social media account, displaying knives, firearms, and footage of himself within court premises portraying a criminal image, possibly fostering a misguided sense of pride.

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media

Man who threatened to blow up Mumbai Airport nabbed from Kerala

Man who threatened to blow up Mumbai Airport nabbed from Kerala
On Thursday, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) received an anonymous email threatening to "blow up Terminal 2 within 48 hours" if the man making the threat was not paid an amount of $1 million in Bitcoin. Following the ultimatum, the Mumbai International Airport Ltd. Lodged a complaint with the Sahar police station which swung into action.  

Man who threatened to blow up Mumbai Airport nabbed from Kerala