Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa
Goa Police on Thursday seized drugs -- charas, ganja and ecstasy -- valued at Rs 18.3 lakh, an official said here. Police said that the Anti-Narcotic Cell conducted a raid and found one person in alleged possession of drugs at Vagator in North Goa.

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17
India will put into orbit its new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS on February 17 at 5.30 p.m. with the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) rocket, the Indian space agency said on Thursday. According to Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), in its 16th mission, the GSLV aims to put INSAT-3DS into the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.  

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper
Comparing the performance of the 10-year rule of the Narendra Modi government with that of the erstwhile UPA regime, the White Paper on Indian Economy tabled in the Lok Sabha by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman highlights the fact that in 2014, India was among the 'fragile five' economies, but now figures among the 'top five' economies, making the third highest contribution to global growth every year.  

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat
The cybercrime wing of the Greater Chennai Police has launched a probe after five popular schools in the city received hoax bomb threat. An anonymous person sent e-mails to five popular schools under the Greater Chennai Police limits on Thursday, claiming that bombs would detonate in their premises.  

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat

Centre, protesting farmers arrive on consensus, claims Punjab CM

Centre, protesting farmers arrive on consensus, claims Punjab CM
On the personal intervention of Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann, the Union government and farmers reached a consensus on Thursday evening over various issues during the first round of deliberations, the state government said. The meeting was held here and was attended by Union Ministers Piyush Goyal, Arjun Munda and Nityanand Rai besides the Chief Minister and representatives of various farmers unions.

Centre, protesting farmers arrive on consensus, claims Punjab CM

Sextortion: Man duped of Rs 6 lakh; accused arrested

Sextortion: Man duped of Rs 6 lakh; accused arrested
A 45-year-old man was arrested for allegedly duping a man of Rs 6 lakh by threatening him to upload his fake nude video on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram, the police said on Thursday. Based on a complaint, a case was registered under relevant sections of the IPC at the Cyber Crime Police Station.

Sextortion: Man duped of Rs 6 lakh; accused arrested