Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Death threats to PM, Yogi and to blast Mumbai hospital

Death threats to PM, Yogi and to blast Mumbai hospital
An anonymous person called up the Mumbai Police Control Room and allegedy issued death threats to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, an official said here on Tuesday. The caller, who had dialled the police control number late on Monday night, also threatened to blow up the government-run Sir J. J. Hospital in Mumbai.  

Death threats to PM, Yogi and to blast Mumbai hospital

Technical glitch forces Air India Mumbai-NY flight to return from Iran airspace

Technical glitch forces Air India Mumbai-NY flight to return from Iran airspace
A technical glitch reportedly forced an Air India Mumbai-New York flight to return from Iranian airspace early on Tuesday morning, official sources said. The flight, AI-119, bound for JFK Airport in New York took off around 2.20 am and returned after a few hours.

Technical glitch forces Air India Mumbai-NY flight to return from Iran airspace

Punjab: Sugarcane farmers start indefinite protest over procurement price

Punjab: Sugarcane farmers start indefinite protest over procurement price
Hundreds of the protesters are sitting on the highway, waving farmer union flags and shouting slogans against the government. Several farmer unions under the banner of Samyukt Kisan Morcha have gathered for the protest. They have also blocked the highway, due to which the movement of the vehicular traffic has been hampered.

Punjab: Sugarcane farmers start indefinite protest over procurement price

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling
Fresh pictures that emerged from the site of the Silkyara tunnel collapse in Uttarakhand showed that the 41 labourers trapped inside were mostly safe, an official said on Tuesday, adding that those engaged in the rescue operations will now try to drill the tunnel vertically to create an evacuation passage. Thick pipes have been brought to the Silkyara Tunnel by helicopter from Odisha and a large vertical drilling machine has been brought to create the evacuation passage.

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

More expressways, corridors planned in UP

More expressways, corridors planned in UP
The Uttar Pradesh government will develop more industrial corridors along with the five new expressways across the state. A fund of Rs 7,000 crore has been allocated for the development of these corridors.  

More expressways, corridors planned in UP

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour
A huge fire at the Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour has destroyed over 40 boats. The incident happened late on Sunday night. The fire, which broke out in one of the boats around 11 p.m., spread to other boats. Fire engines rushed to the scene. The fire was controlled in the early hours of Monday.

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour