Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

ED searches 25 locations in Punjab, Rajasthan in illegal drugs case, seizes Rs 4.5 cr in cash

ED searches 25 locations in Punjab, Rajasthan in illegal drugs case, seizes Rs 4.5 cr in cash
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) said on Wednesday that it carried out searches at 25 locations in Punjab and Rajasthan on Tuesday in connection with its probe into an illegal drugs trade case and seized cash to the tune of Rs 4.5 crore. In a statement, the financial probe agency said that it carried out searches under the relevant sections of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) at various locations in Punjab and Rajasthan

ED searches 25 locations in Punjab, Rajasthan in illegal drugs case, seizes Rs 4.5 cr in cash

Punjab government running away from facing people: Jakhar

Punjab government running away from facing people: Jakhar
The government has divided people by its "unwarranted response on this issue and it is clear the state administration is feeling entangled after inviting people for a debate through an open invitation," Jakhar said. Reminding the state government of the perilous law and order situation, Jakhar said there are daily murders and there is no police presence.

Punjab government running away from facing people: Jakhar

BRS, BJP looted Rs 1 lakh crore in Kaleshwaram project: Rahul Gandhi

BRS, BJP looted Rs 1 lakh crore in Kaleshwaram project: Rahul Gandhi
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday alleged that BRS and BJP looted Rs.1 lakh crore in the Kaleshwaram project in Telangana. Addressing an election rally at Kollapur in undivided Mahabubnagar district, he said the piers of the project were sinking and collapsing. He was referring to the recent incident of sinking of a portion of Mediagadda barrage, a part of Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project.

BRS, BJP looted Rs 1 lakh crore in Kaleshwaram project: Rahul Gandhi

Road crashes in India touch all-time high with 1.68L fatalities; UP tops number of accident deaths

Road crashes in India touch all-time high with 1.68L fatalities; UP tops number of accident deaths
The number of people killed in road crashes in India touched an all time high in 2022 with fatalities crossing 1.68 lakh, which translates to 462 deaths per day or one every three minutes or 19 deaths every hour. According to the annual report released by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on Tuesday, a total number of 4,61,312 road accidents have been reported by states and Union Territories (UTs) during the calendar year 2022, claiming 1,68,491 lives. 

Road crashes in India touch all-time high with 1.68L fatalities; UP tops number of accident deaths

Air India pee-gate: Delhi HC issues notice to AI on accused Shankar Mishra's plea

Air India pee-gate: Delhi HC issues notice to AI on accused Shankar Mishra's plea
The federal government's priorities for improving Canada's immigration system include better aligning the number of people welcomed to the country with what the labour market needs, as well as services and infrastructure, says a report released Tuesday. The report comes ahead of the federal government's annual immigration levels plan, which Miller is expected to table in the House of Commons on Wednesday.  

Air India pee-gate: Delhi HC issues notice to AI on accused Shankar Mishra's plea

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years
The case involved Imran alias Model and Imran, who were found guilty of being part of an unlawful assembly that engaged in rioting and used force against police officers by firing gunshots, which resulted in injuries to a constable in Brijpuri on February 25, 2020. The court noted that firing at the police officers demonstrated the convicts' readiness to challenge the authority of the state, describing this attitude as dangerous for society.  

2020 riots: Delhi court sentences convict to 7 years jail for attempt to murder, another to 5 years