Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

PM inaugurates Global Maritime India summit, unveils plan for blue economy

PM inaugurates Global Maritime India summit, unveils plan for blue economy
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday inaugurated the third edition of the Global Maritime India Summit 2023 in Mumbai via video conferencing, where he also unveiled a blueprint for the maritime blue economy till 2047. In line with this futuristic plan, the Prime Minister dedicated to the nation and laid the foundation stone for projects worth more than Rs 23,000 crore that are aligned with the maritime blueprint.  

PM inaugurates Global Maritime India summit, unveils plan for blue economy

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal
In a statement here, senior SAD leader Daljit Singh Cheema said “the Chief Minister wants to hold a debate on the SYL canal on November 1 but his own government has compromised the state’s case in the Supreme Court". "Now an AAP MP from Punjab is batting for Haryana and upholding the Supreme Court verdict and even claiming that the matter is only political," he said.

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC
The recommendation for appointment of advocates Harmeet Singh Grewal, Deepinder Singh Nalwa, Sumeet Goel, Sudeepti Sharma, and Kirti Singh as judges was made on April 21 this year by the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court in consultation with his two senior-most colleagues.

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

Kwakta bomb blast case

Kwakta bomb blast case
The NIA has arrested a man in connection with the June 21 Kwakta bomb blast case that left three people injured, an officer from the central agency said on Monday. According to the NIA officer, on Monday in an Intelligence-based joint operation with the Assam Police, the agency has arrested Mohd Noor Hussain from Silchar in Assam.

Kwakta bomb blast case

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi
Delhi Police has apprehended three men and seized approximately 1,300 kilograms of firecrackers from their possession. In view of the ban in Delhi, the accused allegedly procured the firecrackers from neighbouring Gurugram. The accused identified as Yogender (62), Kishan Lal (60), both residents of Kotala Mubarakpur, and Akash Vashishith (35), a resident of Malviya Nagar, had procured the stock of firecrackers from Farukhnagar near Gurugram. 

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with law in connection with the May 4 viral video case in Manipur, involving sexual assault on women and killing of two men. It filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with the law (CCL) before the special CBI court here.  

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case