Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Is India seeing another Covid wave?
Last week, the country had seen a surge with 18,450 fresh cases, a substantial rise from the previous week's 8,781 cases. The Omicron variant XBB.1.16 is believed to be behind the sudden surge of the cases.

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted
As many as two dozen fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire and the operation lasted more than six hours. More than two dozen fire tenders are on the spot, trying to douse the inferno.

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday
Officials of the central jail have not confirmed his release prematurely. Sidhu on May 20, 2022, surrendered before a court in Patiala in a 1988 road rage case that had led to the death of a 65-year-old man.

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy
Out of total 36 people who died in the heart wrenching incident, the youngest victim was a two-year-old boy, Hitansh, while the eldest one was an 80-year-old woman identified as Jayvanti Devi, according to police. Most of the victims were women.

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre
The Punjab Cabinet led by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Friday gave nod for hiking the compensation due to unseasonal rains by 25 per cent per acre. A decision to this effect was taken by the Council of Ministers at its meeting held here.

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre

Excise policy scam: Sisodia's bail plea in CBI case dismissed

Excise policy scam: Sisodia's bail plea in CBI case dismissed
The court had, on March 20, sent him to judicial custody till April 3. Judge Nagpal observed that the payment of advance kickbacks of around Rs 90-100 crore was meant for him and his other colleagues in the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government.

Excise policy scam: Sisodia's bail plea in CBI case dismissed