Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

Rs 100 crore to be spent for beautification of Amritsar for hosting G-20

Rs 100 crore to be spent for beautification of Amritsar for hosting G-20
Local Government Minister Inderbir Singh Nijjar said the G-20 summit is going to be held in the holy city of Amritsar, possibly from March 15 to 17, 2023, and will have participation of the heads of state of G-20 countries and other international delegates

Rs 100 crore to be spent for beautification of Amritsar for hosting G-20

Free flats approved for 3cr poor citizens: Hardeep Puri

Free flats approved for 3cr poor citizens: Hardeep Puri
The Minister said this while speaking after flagging-off 30 campaign chariots of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from the office of the saffron party's Delhi unit, in view of the MCD elections. The chariot flagging event was also attended by BJP leaders, office bearers and party workers.

Free flats approved for 3cr poor citizens: Hardeep Puri

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Charges against rape accused seer stand, says K'taka Police

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Charges against rape accused seer stand, says K'taka Police
Superintendent of Police, Chitradurga, K. Parashurama said that along with the prime accused seer, the charges against accused number two, women's hostel warden Rashmi and accused number four Paramashivaiah are also valid. However, the police are gathering evidence against accused number two, a minor, and accused number five Gangadharaiah, he added.

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Charges against rape accused seer stand, says K'taka Police

Delhi primary schools to be closed from Saturday due to pollution: Kejriwal

Delhi primary schools to be closed from Saturday due to pollution: Kejriwal
He made the announcement while addressing a joint presser here with his Punjab counterpart Bhagwant Mann.  Kejriwal also said that outdoor activities for all classes above class 5 will also be suspended.

Delhi primary schools to be closed from Saturday due to pollution: Kejriwal

Will make all-out efforts to make paddy straw burning free by next year: Punjab CM

Will make all-out efforts to make paddy straw burning free by next year: Punjab CM
Interacting with the mediapersons here, the Chief Minister, accompanied by his Delhi counterpart Arvind Kejriwal, said the state government is working on a multi-pronged strategy and has already roped in agriculture experts and the farmers unions for working out a viable solution for this problem.

Will make all-out efforts to make paddy straw burning free by next year: Punjab CM

India's metro network currently world's 5th largest: Hardeep Puri

India's metro network currently world's 5th largest: Hardeep Puri
Around 810 km of metro line are operational in 20 cities in the country while more than 980 km of metro network and RRTS is currently under construction in 27 cities, Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Puri said on Friday, adding India currently has the fifth-largest metro network in the world.

India's metro network currently world's 5th largest: Hardeep Puri