Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Apr, 2025 12:08 PM
  • India looks forward to having positive, constructive ties with Bangladesh: MEA

Dhaka, April 17 (IANS) India on Thursday reiterated that it remains committed to developing a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh irrespective of certain trade issues, including the recent termination of the transshipment facility.

"India looks forward to having a positive and constructive relationship with Bangladesh. We stand for a democratic, inclusive, and prosperous Bangladesh. As far as trade issues are concerned, we made an announcement last week regarding the transshipment facility. We have taken that measure because of the congestion that we see at our ports and airports," Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), said during a weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Thursday.

Citing "significant congestion" at its airports and ports, India on April 8 said that it has terminated a trans-shipment facility available to Bangladesh that allowed Dhaka to export cargo to third countries using Indian customs stations.

"The Transshipment facility extended to Bangladesh had over a period of time resulted in significant congestion at our airports and ports. Logistical delays and higher costs were hindering our own exports and creating backlogs. The facility, therefore, has been withdrawn w.e.f. April 8, 2025. To clarify, these measures do not impact Bangladesh exports to Nepal or Bhutan transiting through Indian territory." Jaiswal said, last week.

The facility was introduced in June 2020 and the decision to withdraw it was made by the finance ministry's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.

"It has been decided to rescind the circular dated June 29, 2020, as amended with immediate effect. Cargo already entered into India may be allowed to exit the Indian territory as per the procedure given in that circular," a notification issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) on April 8 stated.

The facility introduced by New Delhi was aimed at enhancing regional connectivity and promoting trade between Bangladesh and third countries by using India as a transit corridor.

"India's decision to revoke the transshipment facility for Bangladesh underscores Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji's unwavering commitment to safeguarding national interests and the security of the Northeast region. This decisive action reflects the government's firm stance on protecting India’s strategic and economic priorities," Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had posted on X.

The move came after controversial statements made by Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of the interim government in Bangladesh, during his recent visit to China.

"The seven states of India, the eastern part of India, are called the Seven Sisters. They are a landlocked region of India. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardian of the ocean for all this region. So this opens up a huge possibility. This could be an extension of the Chinese economy," Yunus said during a high-level roundtable discussion on sustainable infrastructure and energy in Beijing.

Both countries had also operationalized the Agreement for the usage of Chittagong and Mongla Ports in 2023 that allows India to avail the services of these ports in Bangladesh for transit cargo between Northeast and mainland India and significantly reduced the cost and time of transportation.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised the issue of safety and security of minorities in Bangladesh, including Hindus, during his meeting with Yunus, held on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok.

The Bangkok meeting was the first in-person meeting between the two leaders since the ouster of the Awami League government led by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and formation of the interim government under the leadership of Yunus in the neighbouring country, last August.

During the discussions, Prime Minister Modi had urged that any rhetoric that vitiates the environment is best avoided and expressed his conviction that all issues of mutual interest between the two countries would continue to be addressed and resolved bilaterally through constructive discussions in the interest of the long standing bilateral relationship between the two countries.

MORE India ARTICLES

An important step towards democracy, PM Modi hails nod to simultaneous elections

An important step towards democracy, PM Modi hails nod to simultaneous elections
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has hailed the government's approval of simultaneous elections as a significant step toward enhancing India's democracy. He also thanked former President Ram Nath Kovind for painstakingly spearheading the nationwide consultation process.

An important step towards democracy, PM Modi hails nod to simultaneous elections

RG Kar case: Sandip Ghosh’s medical registration cancelled, Kolkata Police suspends Abhijit Mondal

RG Kar case: Sandip Ghosh’s medical registration cancelled, Kolkata Police suspends Abhijit Mondal
West Bengal Medical Council on Wednesday evening announced the cancellation of the medical registration of the former and controversial principal of R.G. Kar Medical College & Hospital Sandip Ghosh. Meanwhile, the Kolkata Police also announced the suspension of inspector Abhijit Mondal, the former SHO of Tala Police Station.

RG Kar case: Sandip Ghosh’s medical registration cancelled, Kolkata Police suspends Abhijit Mondal

Over 25 houses set on fire in Bihar’s Nawada over property dispute

Over 25 houses set on fire in Bihar’s Nawada over property dispute
More than 25 houses were set on fire by a group of strong men in the village in Bihar’s Nawada district on Wednesday following a property dispute. An official said that the incident was reported in Manjhi Mahadalit Tola village, which falls under the Dedaur Gram Panchayat, Mufassil police station in Nawada district.

Over 25 houses set on fire in Bihar’s Nawada over property dispute

Punjab CM hospitalised, Oppn questions his whereabouts

Punjab CM hospitalised, Oppn questions his whereabouts
Amid media reports that Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has been hospitalised in New Delhi, the Opposition questioned his whereabouts and “misuse” of public money on his travel expenses, besides wishing him a speedy recovery. However, there has been no statement either by the party or the government over the media reports. Mann is reported to have been admitted to a leading private hospital in Delhi.

Punjab CM hospitalised, Oppn questions his whereabouts

India, US hail collaboration to drive clean energy transition

India, US hail collaboration to drive clean energy transition
According to the India and US Strategic Clean Energy Partnership (SCEP) ministerial meeting, convened by US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm and Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Hardeep Singh Puri in Washington, DC, energy trade is playing a key role in supporting the national priorities of both the countries.

India, US hail collaboration to drive clean energy transition

Arvind Kejriwal picks his successor, Atishi is new Delhi CM till next elections

Arvind Kejriwal picks his successor, Atishi is new Delhi CM till next elections
Delhi’s lone woman minister Atishi has been unanimously chosen to succeed Arvind Kejriwal as the next Chief Minister, Gopal Rai told newsmen on Tuesday. He stated that Atishi got the unanimous support at the AAP legislature party meet on Tuesday and added that she would be the Delhi CM till the next Assembly elections.

Arvind Kejriwal picks his successor, Atishi is new Delhi CM till next elections