Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th

Darpan News Desk Darpan, 04 May, 2020 11:38 PM
  • Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th

Indians stranded abraod because of the coronavirus pandemic will be brought back home as of May 7th but it will be a gradual process. 

Aircraft and naval ships will be arranged for their travel, the government said in a statement, adding the service will be offered on "payment-basis". Only those asymptomatic will be allowed onboard.

"Government of India will be facilitating the return of Indian nationals stranded abroad on compelling grounds in a phased manner. The travel would be arranged by aircraft and naval ships. The Standard Operating Protocol (SOP) has been prepared in this regard," the statement read.

"Indian Embassies and High Commissions are preparing a list of distressed Indian citizens. This facility would be made available on payment-basis. Non-scheduled commercial flights would be arranged for air travel. The travel would begin in a phased manner from May 7," it added.

Guidelines for transit and government will involve medical screening of the passengers will be carried out.

"During the journey, all these passengers would have to follow the protocols, such as the health protocols, issued by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Civil Aviation," the centre said.

The government said upon arrival, all the passengers will have to download the "Aarogya Setu" mobile application.

On reaching the destination, everyone would have to register on the Aarogya Setu app. Everyone would be medically screened. After scrutiny, they would be quarantined for 14 days, either in a hospital or in an institutional quarantine on payment-basis, by the concerned state government. COVID test would be done after 14 days and further action would be taken according to health protocols," the government said.

It has also advised the state governments to make arrangements for testing, quarantine and onward movement of the passengers.

The government had brought back hundreds of Indians from China and Iran in March. However, after it suspended domestic and international flight operations over the growing number of coronavirus cases in the country, the operation was halted. It had said last month that the process could begin after May 3, when the second phase of the lockdown ended.

The total for death in India as of Monday stands at 83 deaths. Total number of cases rose by 2,573 to reach 42,863.

MORE India ARTICLES

BJP MP Roopa Ganguly's Son Rams Car Into Wall In Kolkata, Locals Allege He Was Drunk

BJP MP Roopa Ganguly's Son Rams Car Into Wall In Kolkata, Locals Allege He Was Drunk
The incident happened late on Thursday night when Akash Mukhopadhyay, 20, while taking a turn, rammed his black sedan into the wall of the club in the posh Golf Garden area, the sources said.  

BJP MP Roopa Ganguly's Son Rams Car Into Wall In Kolkata, Locals Allege He Was Drunk

Shocking Video: 19-Year-Old Girl Out For Stroll At Chandigarh’s Sukhna Lake Killed By Lightning Strike

A 19-year-old girl, who had arrived at Sukhna Lake with her friends, died after being struck by lightning on August 15.  

Shocking Video: 19-Year-Old Girl Out For Stroll At Chandigarh’s Sukhna Lake Killed By Lightning Strike

Woman Sanitation Worker In Noida School Found Hanging From Tree: Police

Basanti, 36, was found hanging from a neem tree inside Delhi Public School campus in Sector 30 on Thursday evening, police said.  

Woman Sanitation Worker In Noida School Found Hanging From Tree: Police

Patiala: WhatsApp Group Admin Assaulted By Members He Removed

In a bizarre incident, irked over being removed from a Whatsapp group, three people allegedly assaulted the admin of the group.

Patiala: WhatsApp Group Admin Assaulted By Members He Removed

‘No First Use’ Of Nukes For Now; Circumstances To Decide Future Course: Rajnath Singh

‘No First Use’ Of Nukes For Now; Circumstances To Decide Future Course: Rajnath Singh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh's statement on Friday that India's commitment to a 'No First Use' nuclear policy is subject to future circumstances has found support from the Congress.

‘No First Use’ Of Nukes For Now; Circumstances To Decide Future Course: Rajnath Singh

Phone Lines In Kashmir Back Over Weekend, Schools Next Week: Official

The press briefing by the Jammu and Kashmir chief secretary comes hours ahead of "informal consultations" by the United Nations Security Council in New York today.  

Phone Lines In Kashmir Back Over Weekend, Schools Next Week: Official