Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 Aug, 2025 02:50 PM
  • Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Fifty-six bodies have been recovered so far and over 300 were rescued as Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to J&K Lt Governor and Chief Minister, assuring all possible help to sufferers of the Kishtwar cloudburst tragedy. 

At least 56 people, including two CISF personnel, have been confirmed dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chashoti village near the Machail Mata Shrine in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

The resulting cloudburst debris and flash floods swept away makeshift structures, a community kitchen and a security post.

Officials said over 250 people are still missing while more than 300 have been rescued so far, several of them with serious injuries.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on X today, “I just received a call from Hon PM @narendramodi Sb. I briefed him about the situation in Kishtwar & the steps being taken by the administration. My government & the people hit by this tragic cloudburst are grateful for his support & all the assistance provided by the Union Government”.

Union Minister Jitendra Singh said the disaster could result in substantial casualties and confirmed that the administration has swung into action, deploying rescue teams from the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF. Adverse weather and washed-out roads have hampered air operations, forcing ground teams to lead much of the evacuation effort.

Witnesses said the cloudburst struck around 11.30 a.m. Thursday, when hundreds of pilgrims were present in the last motorable Chashoti village before the high altitude shrine.

The sudden surge of water destroyed a community kitchen hosting nearly 200 pilgrims and also damaged nearby security installations. Many tents and temporary shelters set up for pilgrims were washed away in the deluge.

L-G Manoj Sinha has directed all agencies to strengthen rescue and relief operations and ensure all possible assistance to the affected.

Control rooms and helpline numbers have been activated to help locate missing persons. The Machail Mata Yatra, which draws thousands of devotees every August, has been suspended until further notice.

Due to the scale of the tragedy, Independence Day celebrations in several parts of the Union Territory were scaled down, with only flag hoisting and the national anthem being observed.

Officials fear the casualty count may rise as many areas remain cut off. Rescuers, including volunteers from local organisations, are continuing their search along the riverbanks downstream from the disaster site.

Critical health infrastructure was reinforced at Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Paddar, with an additional deployment of 13 doctors and 31 paramedics. Senior officers of the health department are stationed at Paddar, overseeing rescue and medical operations. District Hospital (DH) Kishtwar has been augmented with the additional deployment of General Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Anaesthetists from Government Medical College (GMC) Doda. Additionally, tertiary care institutions have been put in a state of full readiness.

A team comprising specialists has been readied at Doda to manage patients being referred from DH Kishtwar. Government Medical College (GMC) hospital in Jammu is in full operational readiness with 50 dedicated disaster beds, 20 ventilator beds, and 5 operating theatres (OTs). Specialist medical teams comprising Orthopaedicians, Neurosurgeons, Critical Care Anaesthetists, and Maxillo-facial consultants are on standby.

The GMC Jammu Blood Bank has been augmented with 200-plus units of blood available for any exigency.

To assist in the response to the situation, PGIMER Chandigarh has dispatched a specialised team comprising Critical Care Specialists and Neurosurgeons to GMC Jammu to further enhance critical care patient care capabilities. Immediately following the incident, a large fleet of 65 ambulances from the Health department, NHPC, Army, CRPF and 108 Emergency Service of the J&K Health and Medical Education department was deployed for rescue and patient transfer.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held
The arrested individuals have been identified as Mohammad Zafar Iqbal (38), Noor Hussain (28), Sumit (32), Abhishek Mishra (30), Sheikh Ibrahim (28), Abhishek Gupta (35), and Mohammad Adil (32)

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar
A Special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Court in Jalandhar has awarded four years of rigorous imprisonment to one Mahabir Singh, a drug smuggler in Amritsar for committing the offence of money laundering.  The court while awarding him a jail term also imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 on him.

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy
One of the major challenges before the authorities is now to provide medical care to the injured persons. As per reports, over 200 persons have been seriously injured in the mishap. A 100-bed hospital and a dedicated ambulance corridor have been made ready at the SCB Medical College and Hospital. 

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore
The court sentenced P. Senthilkumar, the then CEO-cum-Chairman of Palpap Ichinichi Software International Ltd, Chennai, to five years rigorous imprisonment while T.R. Dhanasekar and R. Karunanidhi, both then Directors of SJS Network and Services Ltd, Chennai, were sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment. 

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore

Sisodia only to be produced via video conferencing, says Delhi court

Sisodia only to be produced via video conferencing, says Delhi court
During Thursday's hearing as well, the AAP leader was produced before the Rouse Avenue Court through video conferencing after the Delhi Police's request.  This was however, opposed by Sisodia and his counsel.

Sisodia only to be produced via video conferencing, says Delhi court

Sukhbir Badal advises Rahul to avoid speaking on religious subjects

Sukhbir Badal advises Rahul to avoid speaking on religious subjects
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) president Sukhbir Badal on Thursday advised Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to avoid speaking on religious subjects of which he has neither the knowledge nor understanding. 

Sukhbir Badal advises Rahul to avoid speaking on religious subjects