Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 Aug, 2025 02:50 PM
  • Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Fifty-six bodies have been recovered so far and over 300 were rescued as Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to J&K Lt Governor and Chief Minister, assuring all possible help to sufferers of the Kishtwar cloudburst tragedy. 

At least 56 people, including two CISF personnel, have been confirmed dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chashoti village near the Machail Mata Shrine in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

The resulting cloudburst debris and flash floods swept away makeshift structures, a community kitchen and a security post.

Officials said over 250 people are still missing while more than 300 have been rescued so far, several of them with serious injuries.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on X today, “I just received a call from Hon PM @narendramodi Sb. I briefed him about the situation in Kishtwar & the steps being taken by the administration. My government & the people hit by this tragic cloudburst are grateful for his support & all the assistance provided by the Union Government”.

Union Minister Jitendra Singh said the disaster could result in substantial casualties and confirmed that the administration has swung into action, deploying rescue teams from the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF. Adverse weather and washed-out roads have hampered air operations, forcing ground teams to lead much of the evacuation effort.

Witnesses said the cloudburst struck around 11.30 a.m. Thursday, when hundreds of pilgrims were present in the last motorable Chashoti village before the high altitude shrine.

The sudden surge of water destroyed a community kitchen hosting nearly 200 pilgrims and also damaged nearby security installations. Many tents and temporary shelters set up for pilgrims were washed away in the deluge.

L-G Manoj Sinha has directed all agencies to strengthen rescue and relief operations and ensure all possible assistance to the affected.

Control rooms and helpline numbers have been activated to help locate missing persons. The Machail Mata Yatra, which draws thousands of devotees every August, has been suspended until further notice.

Due to the scale of the tragedy, Independence Day celebrations in several parts of the Union Territory were scaled down, with only flag hoisting and the national anthem being observed.

Officials fear the casualty count may rise as many areas remain cut off. Rescuers, including volunteers from local organisations, are continuing their search along the riverbanks downstream from the disaster site.

Critical health infrastructure was reinforced at Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Paddar, with an additional deployment of 13 doctors and 31 paramedics. Senior officers of the health department are stationed at Paddar, overseeing rescue and medical operations. District Hospital (DH) Kishtwar has been augmented with the additional deployment of General Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Anaesthetists from Government Medical College (GMC) Doda. Additionally, tertiary care institutions have been put in a state of full readiness.

A team comprising specialists has been readied at Doda to manage patients being referred from DH Kishtwar. Government Medical College (GMC) hospital in Jammu is in full operational readiness with 50 dedicated disaster beds, 20 ventilator beds, and 5 operating theatres (OTs). Specialist medical teams comprising Orthopaedicians, Neurosurgeons, Critical Care Anaesthetists, and Maxillo-facial consultants are on standby.

The GMC Jammu Blood Bank has been augmented with 200-plus units of blood available for any exigency.

To assist in the response to the situation, PGIMER Chandigarh has dispatched a specialised team comprising Critical Care Specialists and Neurosurgeons to GMC Jammu to further enhance critical care patient care capabilities. Immediately following the incident, a large fleet of 65 ambulances from the Health department, NHPC, Army, CRPF and 108 Emergency Service of the J&K Health and Medical Education department was deployed for rescue and patient transfer.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Seven held in Punjab for cheating GMADA

Seven held in Punjab for cheating GMADA
The Punjab Vigilance Bureau has exposed a scam by arresting seven people, including a revenue official, on charges of receiving compensations during acquisition of land on forged documents in Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA) from 2016 to 2020. 

Seven held in Punjab for cheating GMADA

Sisodia moves Delhi HC for interim bail, states wife's ill-health

Sisodia moves Delhi HC for interim bail, states wife's ill-health
Sisodia has sought for interim bail on the ground of illness of his wife. Justice Dinesh Kumar Sharma, while listing the plea for consideration on Thursday with his regular bail plea, also asked the CBI to try make efforts to file the status report in the matter on the same day itself.

Sisodia moves Delhi HC for interim bail, states wife's ill-health

BJP leader's murder: Police raid in Delhi, Haryana; 6 held, 20 detained

BJP leader's murder: Police raid in Delhi, Haryana; 6 held, 20 detained
The arrested accused were identified as Nitin Narulla, Nikhil, Rajpal alias Raju Gahlot, Deepak - all residents of Delhi - Mohit and Jitender Dahiya, both residents of Haryana. Deepak, Nikhil and Nitin were found involved in other criminal cases as well.

BJP leader's murder: Police raid in Delhi, Haryana; 6 held, 20 detained

'No privilege over documents on remission of convicts in Bilkis Bano case': Centre tells SC

'No privilege over documents on remission of convicts in Bilkis Bano case': Centre tells SC
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the Centre and Gujarat government, submitted before a bench headed by Justice K.M. Joseph and comprising justice B V Nagarathna that they do not claim privilege over files in connection with grant of remission to 11 convicts in the Bilkis Bano case.

'No privilege over documents on remission of convicts in Bilkis Bano case': Centre tells SC

Operation Kaveri: 135 Indian citizens reach Jeddah enroute India from Sudan

Operation Kaveri: 135 Indian citizens reach Jeddah enroute India from Sudan
Around 3,000 Indians have been evacuated safely from Sudan so far, who are being brought to India via Jeddah. Intense fighting between Sudan's army and paramilitary forces has been going on since April 14, which has led to the killing of more than 500 people there.

Operation Kaveri: 135 Indian citizens reach Jeddah enroute India from Sudan

Punjab CM inaugurates JSW facility of Rs 247 crore

Punjab CM inaugurates JSW facility of Rs 247 crore
Addressing the gathering after dedicating a plant of JSW Steel Coating Products Ltd, the Chief Minister said the plant has been constructed at a cost of Rs 247 crore and will provide employment to 600 youth.

Punjab CM inaugurates JSW facility of Rs 247 crore