Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 Aug, 2025 02:50 PM
  • Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Fifty-six bodies have been recovered so far and over 300 were rescued as Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to J&K Lt Governor and Chief Minister, assuring all possible help to sufferers of the Kishtwar cloudburst tragedy. 

At least 56 people, including two CISF personnel, have been confirmed dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chashoti village near the Machail Mata Shrine in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

The resulting cloudburst debris and flash floods swept away makeshift structures, a community kitchen and a security post.

Officials said over 250 people are still missing while more than 300 have been rescued so far, several of them with serious injuries.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on X today, “I just received a call from Hon PM @narendramodi Sb. I briefed him about the situation in Kishtwar & the steps being taken by the administration. My government & the people hit by this tragic cloudburst are grateful for his support & all the assistance provided by the Union Government”.

Union Minister Jitendra Singh said the disaster could result in substantial casualties and confirmed that the administration has swung into action, deploying rescue teams from the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF. Adverse weather and washed-out roads have hampered air operations, forcing ground teams to lead much of the evacuation effort.

Witnesses said the cloudburst struck around 11.30 a.m. Thursday, when hundreds of pilgrims were present in the last motorable Chashoti village before the high altitude shrine.

The sudden surge of water destroyed a community kitchen hosting nearly 200 pilgrims and also damaged nearby security installations. Many tents and temporary shelters set up for pilgrims were washed away in the deluge.

L-G Manoj Sinha has directed all agencies to strengthen rescue and relief operations and ensure all possible assistance to the affected.

Control rooms and helpline numbers have been activated to help locate missing persons. The Machail Mata Yatra, which draws thousands of devotees every August, has been suspended until further notice.

Due to the scale of the tragedy, Independence Day celebrations in several parts of the Union Territory were scaled down, with only flag hoisting and the national anthem being observed.

Officials fear the casualty count may rise as many areas remain cut off. Rescuers, including volunteers from local organisations, are continuing their search along the riverbanks downstream from the disaster site.

Critical health infrastructure was reinforced at Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Paddar, with an additional deployment of 13 doctors and 31 paramedics. Senior officers of the health department are stationed at Paddar, overseeing rescue and medical operations. District Hospital (DH) Kishtwar has been augmented with the additional deployment of General Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Anaesthetists from Government Medical College (GMC) Doda. Additionally, tertiary care institutions have been put in a state of full readiness.

A team comprising specialists has been readied at Doda to manage patients being referred from DH Kishtwar. Government Medical College (GMC) hospital in Jammu is in full operational readiness with 50 dedicated disaster beds, 20 ventilator beds, and 5 operating theatres (OTs). Specialist medical teams comprising Orthopaedicians, Neurosurgeons, Critical Care Anaesthetists, and Maxillo-facial consultants are on standby.

The GMC Jammu Blood Bank has been augmented with 200-plus units of blood available for any exigency.

To assist in the response to the situation, PGIMER Chandigarh has dispatched a specialised team comprising Critical Care Specialists and Neurosurgeons to GMC Jammu to further enhance critical care patient care capabilities. Immediately following the incident, a large fleet of 65 ambulances from the Health department, NHPC, Army, CRPF and 108 Emergency Service of the J&K Health and Medical Education department was deployed for rescue and patient transfer.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel
The Delhi Police had filed an application on April 10 and while dealing with it, Additional Sessions Judge Manisha Khurana Kakkar of the Saket Court Complex said that Special Public Prosecutor Amit Prasad had placed on record the Delhi High Court's order dated April 19 directing media channels to not publish or broadcast any content belonging to the charge sheet in the case.

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report
According to the UNFPA's The State of World Population Report, 2023, India's population has reached 1,428.6 million while China's stands at 1,425.7 million -- a difference of 2.9 million. The UN's World Population Prospects 2022 had also projected India to surpass China as the world's most populous country during 2023.

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store
Cook came out from the Mumbai retail store and took selfies with the first Apple buyers who came in big numbers. He welcomed customers at Apple BKC, located at Mumbai's bustling Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) financial, arts, and entertainment district, at the Jio World Drive Mall.

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport
The incident took place on April 11 when the man, identified as Shiv, was to take a Go First flight (G8-157) to Bagdogra, West Bengal. According to a complaint lodged by the airline staff, when he was asked to open his bag for a mandatory secondary ladder point check, Shiv got agitated and told them that there was a bomb inside his bag.

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody
The NIA had produced Bishnoi before the court after bringing him to Delhi from Punjab on Monday for questioning in connection with a case registered last year. Bishnoi is currently lodged in Bathinda Central Jail.

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case
Special judge M.K. Nagpal of the Rouse Avenue Court will pronounce the order on April 26. On Monday, the court had extended Sisodia's judicial custody by two weeks in the case.The probe agency had also said that the 60 days given to complete the investigation against Sisodia are not over yet.

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case