Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 Aug, 2025 02:50 PM
  • Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Fifty-six bodies have been recovered so far and over 300 were rescued as Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to J&K Lt Governor and Chief Minister, assuring all possible help to sufferers of the Kishtwar cloudburst tragedy. 

At least 56 people, including two CISF personnel, have been confirmed dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chashoti village near the Machail Mata Shrine in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

The resulting cloudburst debris and flash floods swept away makeshift structures, a community kitchen and a security post.

Officials said over 250 people are still missing while more than 300 have been rescued so far, several of them with serious injuries.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on X today, “I just received a call from Hon PM @narendramodi Sb. I briefed him about the situation in Kishtwar & the steps being taken by the administration. My government & the people hit by this tragic cloudburst are grateful for his support & all the assistance provided by the Union Government”.

Union Minister Jitendra Singh said the disaster could result in substantial casualties and confirmed that the administration has swung into action, deploying rescue teams from the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF. Adverse weather and washed-out roads have hampered air operations, forcing ground teams to lead much of the evacuation effort.

Witnesses said the cloudburst struck around 11.30 a.m. Thursday, when hundreds of pilgrims were present in the last motorable Chashoti village before the high altitude shrine.

The sudden surge of water destroyed a community kitchen hosting nearly 200 pilgrims and also damaged nearby security installations. Many tents and temporary shelters set up for pilgrims were washed away in the deluge.

L-G Manoj Sinha has directed all agencies to strengthen rescue and relief operations and ensure all possible assistance to the affected.

Control rooms and helpline numbers have been activated to help locate missing persons. The Machail Mata Yatra, which draws thousands of devotees every August, has been suspended until further notice.

Due to the scale of the tragedy, Independence Day celebrations in several parts of the Union Territory were scaled down, with only flag hoisting and the national anthem being observed.

Officials fear the casualty count may rise as many areas remain cut off. Rescuers, including volunteers from local organisations, are continuing their search along the riverbanks downstream from the disaster site.

Critical health infrastructure was reinforced at Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Paddar, with an additional deployment of 13 doctors and 31 paramedics. Senior officers of the health department are stationed at Paddar, overseeing rescue and medical operations. District Hospital (DH) Kishtwar has been augmented with the additional deployment of General Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Anaesthetists from Government Medical College (GMC) Doda. Additionally, tertiary care institutions have been put in a state of full readiness.

A team comprising specialists has been readied at Doda to manage patients being referred from DH Kishtwar. Government Medical College (GMC) hospital in Jammu is in full operational readiness with 50 dedicated disaster beds, 20 ventilator beds, and 5 operating theatres (OTs). Specialist medical teams comprising Orthopaedicians, Neurosurgeons, Critical Care Anaesthetists, and Maxillo-facial consultants are on standby.

The GMC Jammu Blood Bank has been augmented with 200-plus units of blood available for any exigency.

To assist in the response to the situation, PGIMER Chandigarh has dispatched a specialised team comprising Critical Care Specialists and Neurosurgeons to GMC Jammu to further enhance critical care patient care capabilities. Immediately following the incident, a large fleet of 65 ambulances from the Health department, NHPC, Army, CRPF and 108 Emergency Service of the J&K Health and Medical Education department was deployed for rescue and patient transfer.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

AI urination case: Accused Shankar Mishra moves Delhi HC against 'unruly passenger' tag

AI urination case: Accused Shankar Mishra moves Delhi HC against 'unruly passenger' tag
Mishra, who was arrested by the Delhi Police from Bengaluru on January 7 for allegedly urinating on a 70-year-old woman while in a drunken state on a flight last November, was granted bail on January 31 by national capital's Patiala House Court.

AI urination case: Accused Shankar Mishra moves Delhi HC against 'unruly passenger' tag

Woman held at IGI with over 2 kg amphetamine

Woman held at IGI with over 2 kg amphetamine
NCB Deputy Director General Gyaneshwar Singh said the woman was identified as Syeeda Abida. She had plans to travel from Delhi to Doha by a Qatar Airline flight but was apprehended at IGI Airport on March 10.

Woman held at IGI with over 2 kg amphetamine

Amritsar gears up for hospitality of G20 delegates

Amritsar gears up for hospitality of G20 delegates
The two sessions of G20 are slated to be held in the state on March 15-17 and March 19-20. The first one is the second G20 Education Working Group Meeting, while the second is a two-day Labour 20 (L20) meeting.

Amritsar gears up for hospitality of G20 delegates

'Not slow paced', SC on trial in Lakhimpur Kheri violence case

'Not slow paced', SC on trial in Lakhimpur Kheri violence case
On January 25, the Supreme Court granted interim bail for eight weeks to Ashish Mishra and directed him to leave Uttar Pradesh within one week of his release from jail. A bench comprising Justices Surya Kant and J.K. Maheshwari directed the sessions judge dealing with the trial of the case to keep apprising it about the future developments of the trial.

'Not slow paced', SC on trial in Lakhimpur Kheri violence case

Sukhbir Badal slams AAP govt for slashing Punjabi University's grant

Sukhbir Badal slams AAP govt for slashing Punjabi University's grant
Badal was reacting to media reports, which quoted the Punjabi University Vice-Chancellor as saying that the varsity is facing a "dark future" and demanded that the budgetary grant should be over Rs 300 crore. "The university is already under a debt of Rs 150 crore and is not in a position to pay salaries on time," Vice-Chancellor Professor Arvind has said.

Sukhbir Badal slams AAP govt for slashing Punjabi University's grant

SAD-BSP to undertake joint Punjab Bachao campaign

SAD-BSP to undertake joint Punjab Bachao campaign
Announcing this here, SAD spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said a decision to this effect had been taken under the leadership of party President Sukhbir Badal following a meeting with constituency in-charges and senior BSP leadership.

SAD-BSP to undertake joint Punjab Bachao campaign