Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

'Like a dead wall': SC on confidential proceedings delaying Mallya extradition

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Mar, 2022 01:03 PM
  • 'Like a dead wall': SC on confidential proceedings delaying Mallya extradition

New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved the order on sentence of fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, found guilty of contempt in 2017 for disobeying the court's order for not disclosing full particulars of assets in case between the SBI and Kingfisher Airlines.

A bench headed by Justice U.U. Lalit, after hearing detailed arguments in the matter, reserved the order.

Amicus curiae, senior advocate Jaideep Gupta, submitted before the bench, also comprising Justices S. Ravindra Bhat and P.S. Narasimha, that in the present situation, the issuance of a warrant of arrest won't serve purpose as Mallya is in the UK.

The bench also considered the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) stand that the UK Home Office has intimated, there is a further legal issue which needs to be resolved before Mallya's extradition takes place and this issue is outside and apart from the extradition process having effect under the UK law.

The bench said: "They said there are proceedings in the UK. It's like a dead wall, something is pending we don't know, what's the number we don't know. How long can we go on so far as our jurisdictional power is concerned."

Justice Lalit said Mallya is not in anyone's custody and he is a free citizen in the UK. "The only reason perhaps, is there's a proceeding which is pending, which will decide if a person is to be extradited," he added.

On February 10, the top court gave final opportunity to Mallya, seeking his appearance, before it pronounced sentence in contempt case filed by banks, in which he was found guilty.

The top court said it has found Mallya guilty of contempt and punishment has to be imposed. It added that going by normal logic, the contemnor has to be heard, but he has not appeared before the court so far.

Justice Bhat observed that Mallya has abstained from the hearing so far, and in the next hearing, the same thing will happen, then the court would have to pronounce sentence in absentia. Justice Lalit added that Mallya was given multiple opportunities.

Justice Bhat also said this cannot become a gateway for courts of first instance to adopt this method, and it has to be specifically mentioned that circumstances in the present case were extraordinary.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta clarified that it was not the Indian government's stand that some confidential proceedings against him are pending in the UK, rather it was the stand of the UK government which was delaying his extradition.

The bench clarified that if Mallya is not present in the hearing, then the matter will be taken to its logical conclusion.

According to a judgment delivered on July 14, 2017, Mallya was found guilty of contempt for not paying Rs 9,000 crore worth of dues to the banks despite repeated directions. Additionally, he was also accused of not disclosing his assets and also secretly trying to dispose of the assets to defeat the purpose of recovery proceedings.

On October 6, 2020, the MHA told the Supreme Court that the UK Home Office has intimated, there is a further legal issue which needs to be resolved before Mallya's extradition takes place and this issue is outside and apart from the extradition process having effect under the UK law. The affidavit had said that Mallya's surrender to India should, in principle, have been completed within 28 days otherwise.

On November 2 2020, the top court had asked the Centre to file a status report on extradition of the fugitive businessman within six weeks.

On November 30, last year, the Supreme Court said it will begin hearing on sentencing of him in contempt of court, in which he was held guilty in July 2017.

MORE India ARTICLES

First DNA-based vax proves Indian scientists' innovative zeal: PM

First DNA-based vax proves Indian scientists' innovative zeal: PM
The Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation's Subject Expert Committee has granted Zydus Cadila's three-dose vaccine emergency use authorisation in India. The vaccine can be administered to people aged 12 and above.

First DNA-based vax proves Indian scientists' innovative zeal: PM

Arrested Punjab ex-DGP Saini to be produced in court

Arrested Punjab ex-DGP Saini to be produced in court
The Punjab Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau has arrested former state Director General of Police (DGP) Sumedh Singh Saini in a fraud case pertaining to the sale of land in 2020 and is likely to be produced in a court on Thursday.

Arrested Punjab ex-DGP Saini to be produced in court

Rahul vows to be the voice of those being silenced

Rahul vows to be the voice of those being silenced
Rahul Gandhi has been critical of the Centre and has been raising his voice over several issues. He has criticised the Modi-led government over the fuel price hike, alleged Pegasus snooping row, three farm laws and several others in recent times.

Rahul vows to be the voice of those being silenced

Complaint filed against Ram temple trustees by seer

Complaint filed against Ram temple trustees by seer
Dharam Das is the disciple of late Mahant Ram Abhiram Das, who had reportedly placed the idols inside the disputed structure on December 22 midnight in 1949. Das, a prominent face of Ram Mandir Movement and one of the main litigants from Hindu side in the Ram Janmabhoomi title suit, lodged the complaint at Ram Janmabhoomi police station.

Complaint filed against Ram temple trustees by seer

Indo-Canadians term Canada's ban on flights from India as 'discriminatory'

Indo-Canadians term Canada's ban on flights from India as 'discriminatory'
Canada's decision to ban direct flights from India till September 21 while allowing vaccinated family-class passengers and students from all other countries has not gone down well with the Indo-Canadian community. As a result of the ban, Indian students and family-class returnees are taking indirect routes to reach Canada, costing them $4,000-$6,000 per person.

Indo-Canadians term Canada's ban on flights from India as 'discriminatory'

PM Modi's claims on MSP 'incorrect', says Samyukt Kisan Morcha

PM Modi's claims on MSP 'incorrect', says Samyukt Kisan Morcha
The Samyukt Kisan Morcha on Wednesday claimed that the Independence Day announcement by Prime Minister Narendra Modi that the Minimum Support Price (MSP) has been increased by 1.5 times is incorrect and the announced MSP is not being realised by all farmers despite his commitment in the Parliament.

PM Modi's claims on MSP 'incorrect', says Samyukt Kisan Morcha