Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

'Like a dead wall': SC on confidential proceedings delaying Mallya extradition

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Mar, 2022 01:03 PM
  • 'Like a dead wall': SC on confidential proceedings delaying Mallya extradition

New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved the order on sentence of fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, found guilty of contempt in 2017 for disobeying the court's order for not disclosing full particulars of assets in case between the SBI and Kingfisher Airlines.

A bench headed by Justice U.U. Lalit, after hearing detailed arguments in the matter, reserved the order.

Amicus curiae, senior advocate Jaideep Gupta, submitted before the bench, also comprising Justices S. Ravindra Bhat and P.S. Narasimha, that in the present situation, the issuance of a warrant of arrest won't serve purpose as Mallya is in the UK.

The bench also considered the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) stand that the UK Home Office has intimated, there is a further legal issue which needs to be resolved before Mallya's extradition takes place and this issue is outside and apart from the extradition process having effect under the UK law.

The bench said: "They said there are proceedings in the UK. It's like a dead wall, something is pending we don't know, what's the number we don't know. How long can we go on so far as our jurisdictional power is concerned."

Justice Lalit said Mallya is not in anyone's custody and he is a free citizen in the UK. "The only reason perhaps, is there's a proceeding which is pending, which will decide if a person is to be extradited," he added.

On February 10, the top court gave final opportunity to Mallya, seeking his appearance, before it pronounced sentence in contempt case filed by banks, in which he was found guilty.

The top court said it has found Mallya guilty of contempt and punishment has to be imposed. It added that going by normal logic, the contemnor has to be heard, but he has not appeared before the court so far.

Justice Bhat observed that Mallya has abstained from the hearing so far, and in the next hearing, the same thing will happen, then the court would have to pronounce sentence in absentia. Justice Lalit added that Mallya was given multiple opportunities.

Justice Bhat also said this cannot become a gateway for courts of first instance to adopt this method, and it has to be specifically mentioned that circumstances in the present case were extraordinary.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta clarified that it was not the Indian government's stand that some confidential proceedings against him are pending in the UK, rather it was the stand of the UK government which was delaying his extradition.

The bench clarified that if Mallya is not present in the hearing, then the matter will be taken to its logical conclusion.

According to a judgment delivered on July 14, 2017, Mallya was found guilty of contempt for not paying Rs 9,000 crore worth of dues to the banks despite repeated directions. Additionally, he was also accused of not disclosing his assets and also secretly trying to dispose of the assets to defeat the purpose of recovery proceedings.

On October 6, 2020, the MHA told the Supreme Court that the UK Home Office has intimated, there is a further legal issue which needs to be resolved before Mallya's extradition takes place and this issue is outside and apart from the extradition process having effect under the UK law. The affidavit had said that Mallya's surrender to India should, in principle, have been completed within 28 days otherwise.

On November 2 2020, the top court had asked the Centre to file a status report on extradition of the fugitive businessman within six weeks.

On November 30, last year, the Supreme Court said it will begin hearing on sentencing of him in contempt of court, in which he was held guilty in July 2017.

MORE India ARTICLES

London cycling event to raise funds for Covid relief in South Asia

London cycling event to raise funds for Covid relief in South Asia
More than 30 cyclists, who started off at Highgrove in Gloucestershire, are taking part in the 420km-long event that will see them visit some of England's most iconic royal households and palaces over four days.

London cycling event to raise funds for Covid relief in South Asia

Punjab Police seize cache of foreign-made pistols from smuggler

Punjab Police seize cache of foreign-made pistols from smuggler
A huge cache of foreign-made pistols has been seized and a smuggler, allegedly linked with Pakistan-based terror outfits and pro-Khalistani elements based in the US, Canada and the UK and operating on directions of a US-based handler, arrested, Punjab's Director General of Police Dinkar Gupta said on Friday.

Punjab Police seize cache of foreign-made pistols from smuggler

India's Covid vax policy leading to avertable deaths: Experts

India's Covid vax policy leading to avertable deaths: Experts
The government's current approach to vaccination -- focusing on younger age groups -- "is causing huge numbers of avertable deaths and is deeply inequitable, both between age groups and within them", argue doctors and researchers in a commentary published in British medical journal fro BMJ on Wednesday.

India's Covid vax policy leading to avertable deaths: Experts

Meagre MSP hike for paddy insult to farmers: Punjab CM

Meagre MSP hike for paddy insult to farmers: Punjab CM
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Thursday termed the ‘meagre MSP hike for paddy as not only grossly inadequate, but also an insult to the farmers who have been fighting for their rightful dues through their anti-farm law agitation for the past six months.

Meagre MSP hike for paddy insult to farmers: Punjab CM

India asks China to facilitate essential travel

India asks China to facilitate essential travel
India’s External Affairs Ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchi says people from China, including the Chinese nationals, have been able to travel to India despite the absence of direct air connectivity.

India asks China to facilitate essential travel

Two wanted Punjab gangsters gunned down in Kolkata shootout

Two wanted Punjab gangsters gunned down in Kolkata shootout
Personnel of Kolkata Police's Special Task Force ( STF) on Wednesday gunned down two Punjab gangsters believed to be involved in gun running and responsible for killing two policemen. The deceased duo has been identified as Jaspreet Jassi and Jaipal Bhullar.

Two wanted Punjab gangsters gunned down in Kolkata shootout