Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on Wednesday, while giving her reactions on the successful return of Sunita Williams from space, claimed to have studied space science.

She also said that Williams should be conferred the Bharat Ratna award by the Union government.

While addressing the second round of the budget session of the Assembly on Wednesday, the Chief Minister also referred to the tragedy of the death of Kalpana Chawla, the first woman of Indian origin to fly to space, who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in February 2003.

“Kalpana Chawla too went to space. But she could not return. I have studied space science. There are cases where aeroplanes recover from technical glitches and return. I heard the spaceship through which Sunita Williams was travelling also developed some technical glitches. It could have turned into a fire mishap which had happened in the case of Kalpana Chawla. That is why they had to remain trapped in space for such a long time. I especially thank the rescue team for the successful return of Williams and her team members,” the Chief Minister said.

Speaking on the occasion, Mamata Banerjee said that since the origin of Williams is India, it is the duty of the Union government to facilitate her with the Bharat Ratna award. Claiming that she used to regularly enquire about the status of Williams and her team members while they were in space, the Chief Minister said a virtual tornado had been going on within her all these days.

Earlier, she also made a post on the wall of her X handle welcoming “Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore back to earth, finally and safely, after so many days.”

MORE India ARTICLES

In RS speech, PM Modi turned the tables on Cong's '1/3rd govt' jibe with '20 more' years retort

In RS speech, PM Modi turned the tables on Cong's '1/3rd govt' jibe with '20 more' years retort
PM Modi started off his speech in the Rajya Sabha by turning the tables on Congress '1/3rd government' jibe with his 20 more years retort and said that nothing could be bigger truth than this.

In RS speech, PM Modi turned the tables on Cong's '1/3rd govt' jibe with '20 more' years retort

'Agniveer's family was paid Rs 98 lakh', Army rebuts Rahul Gandhi's claim

'Agniveer's family was paid Rs 98 lakh', Army rebuts Rahul Gandhi's claim
Rahul Gandhi also accused the Defence Minister of deceiving the Parliament regarding the 'assistance' provided to the family of martyred Agniveer Ajay Singh, as he demanded an apology from Rajnath Singh to the Parliament, the nation, the armed forces, and the bereaved family.

'Agniveer's family was paid Rs 98 lakh', Army rebuts Rahul Gandhi's claim

Maha police bust inter-state narco racket, seize drugs worth Rs 327 cr, arrest 15

Maha police bust inter-state narco racket, seize drugs worth Rs 327 cr, arrest 15
Mira Bhayander-Vasai Virar Commissioner of Police Madhukar Pandey told mediapersons that busting of the racket with underworld connections also led to the seizure of four weapons and several live cartridges from one of the accused in Palghar. The seizures include Mephedrone drugs, raw materials, and other articles like vehicles from manufacturing dens in UP, Telangana, and cash from Gujarat.

Maha police bust inter-state narco racket, seize drugs worth Rs 327 cr, arrest 15

Punjab Police bust trans-border narcotic smuggling network; one arrested

Punjab Police bust trans-border narcotic smuggling network; one arrested
A trans-border narcotic smuggling network was busted on Tuesday with the arrest of one person and recovery of 5 kg heroin from his possession, Punjab Police said. The drug smuggler was identified as Lakhwinder Singh, said Director General of Police (DGP) Punjab Gaurav Yadav here.

Punjab Police bust trans-border narcotic smuggling network; one arrested

Mumbai Police nab riots accused fugitive after 31 years

Mumbai Police nab riots accused fugitive after 31 years
The accused is identified as Sayed Nadirshah Abbas Khan, 65, who was arrested for his alleged role in the two-phased riots that erupted in Mumbai in December 1992-January 1993 after the demolition of the Babri Mosque on December 6, 1992.

Mumbai Police nab riots accused fugitive after 31 years

NEET issue: PM Modi vows 'war-like efforts' to prevent paper leaks

NEET issue: PM Modi vows 'war-like efforts' to prevent paper leaks
Responding to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President's address to a joint sitting of the Parliament, the Prime Minister also emphasised the government's commitment to taking stringent action against the culprits, noting the ongoing arrests and the enactment of robust legislation aimed at preventing such occurrences.

NEET issue: PM Modi vows 'war-like efforts' to prevent paper leaks