Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on Wednesday, while giving her reactions on the successful return of Sunita Williams from space, claimed to have studied space science.

She also said that Williams should be conferred the Bharat Ratna award by the Union government.

While addressing the second round of the budget session of the Assembly on Wednesday, the Chief Minister also referred to the tragedy of the death of Kalpana Chawla, the first woman of Indian origin to fly to space, who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in February 2003.

“Kalpana Chawla too went to space. But she could not return. I have studied space science. There are cases where aeroplanes recover from technical glitches and return. I heard the spaceship through which Sunita Williams was travelling also developed some technical glitches. It could have turned into a fire mishap which had happened in the case of Kalpana Chawla. That is why they had to remain trapped in space for such a long time. I especially thank the rescue team for the successful return of Williams and her team members,” the Chief Minister said.

Speaking on the occasion, Mamata Banerjee said that since the origin of Williams is India, it is the duty of the Union government to facilitate her with the Bharat Ratna award. Claiming that she used to regularly enquire about the status of Williams and her team members while they were in space, the Chief Minister said a virtual tornado had been going on within her all these days.

Earlier, she also made a post on the wall of her X handle welcoming “Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore back to earth, finally and safely, after so many days.”

MORE India ARTICLES

Oil Minister rules out cut in fuel prices

Oil Minister rules out cut in fuel prices
Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Hardeep Singh Puri said on Wednesday that there was no proposal to cut petrol and diesel prices at present as there was “high volatility” in global crude oil prices. The minister dismissed media reports about a fuel price cut as 'speculative', saying the government's top priority is energy availability.

Oil Minister rules out cut in fuel prices

Akali Dal to hold Punjab Bachao Yatra from Feb 1

Akali Dal to hold Punjab Bachao Yatra from Feb 1
The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Wednesday decided to hold a Punjab Bachao Yatra from February 1 to take the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government to task for failing Punjab on all fronts. The core committee decided to hold a Punjab Bachao Yatra from February 1 to expose the AAP government which had betrayed all sections of people, including farmers, weaker sections of society, trade and industry, youth and government employees.

Akali Dal to hold Punjab Bachao Yatra from Feb 1

Two wanted sharpshooters held in Delhi

Two wanted sharpshooters held in Delhi
The Crime Branch of Delhi Police has arrested two wanted sharpshooters of the notorious Himanshu a.k.a. Bahu and Naveen Bali gang following an exchange of fire, an official said on Wednesday, adding both were wanted in an extortion cum attempt to murder case. The arrested individuals were identified as Kapil a.k.a Mota (22) and Rahul (19), both residents of Rohtak district in Haryana.

Two wanted sharpshooters held in Delhi

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision
The Samajwadi Party has slammed the Yogi Adityanath government's decision to set up liquor outlets at railway platforms, Metro stations and cruises. Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav said the move was "immoral" and against public interest. The state cabinet on Tuesday had given nod to setting up of liquor outlets at railway stations on the lines of similar outlets operating at airports.  

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused
The accused individuals -- Sagar Sharma, Manoranjan D., Neelam Azad and Amol Shinde -- were produced before the Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Hardeep Kaur of Patiala House Courts. The court extended their custody on an application moved by police. The four accused were produced before court on expiry of their previously granted seven-day police custody after they were arrested on December 13.

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM
The Delhi High Court on Thursday asked the Election Commission to promptly decide, preferably within eight weeks, on the notice issued to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, noting that the alleged statements are "not in good taste". This notice is in relation to Gandhi's alleged "pickpocket" comment directed at Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a speech last month.

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM