Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 May, 2025 10:59 AM
  • Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) In a major development, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) conducted extensive searches across Punjab in connection with a terror conspiracy involving Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) operatives. The raids targeted premises linked to gangster Harpreet Singh alias Happy Passian, a close associate of Pakistan-based Khalistani terrorist Harwinder Singh alias Rinda.

A total of 17 locations were searched across Gurdaspur, Batala, Ferozepur, Fazilka, Tarn Taran, Amritsar, and Faridkot. According to officials, the operation led to the recovery of several incriminating materials, including mobile phones, digital storage devices, and documents. These are currently under examination by investigators.

The searches were conducted under a case in which Happy Passian is a key accused. Now based in the United States, Passian is considered one of the main conspirators behind recent grenade attacks on police stations and posts in Punjab and Haryana. He has been declared a proclaimed offender in the ongoing investigation.

The NIA alleges that Passian is a vital link in Rinda’s cross-border terror network, which operates through international associates, including those in Pakistan. Investigators believe he has been actively recruiting operatives within India and arranging weapons, explosives, and financial support for BKI’s terror activities.

The case was registered suo motu by the NIA under the directives of the Ministry of Home Affairs. So far, five individuals have been arrested, and three have been chargesheeted under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Another 12 have been arraigned as accused, including Rinda, Lakhbir Singh alias Landa, and Passian himself. A total of seven accused, including the three, have been declared proclaimed offenders.

The anti-terror agency continues to probe the wider conspiracy and is analysing evidence gathered during Thursday’s raids to identify more suspects and uncover the full extent of the terror network’s operations.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border
Goa Excise officials on Wednesday seized 720 boxes of liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh at Goa-Maharashtra border, allegedly being transported to Maharashtra. Excise Inspector Rajesh Naik, told IANS, that the seizure was done at Patradevi check post in the north district of the coastal state.  

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued
Two infants were rescued and four members, including a married couple, of a child trafficking gang were arrested, a Delhi Police official said on Wednesday. The gang, after luring poor families, used to take away their children and sell them to others, police said. The accused were identified as Gurmeet Singh, 41, his wife Hasmeet Kaur, 37, Mariyam, 30, and Naina, 24, all residents of Delhi.

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid
Jitender Singh Shunty, a former legislator and social worker on Wednesday recalled a morale-booster phone call from Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the Covid-19 pandemic and revealed how the ‘words of appreciation’ motivated him to do more social service. Modi Story, a popular X handle, shared the moving story of the social worker who received a phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM for his selfless work during the pandemic.

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer
Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of Rouse Avenue Court held that Kejriwal is not even utilising the permitted two legal interviews per week with his counsel solely for discussing his pending litigations and has rather used the allotted time for purposes other than legal interviews. She dismissed the plea, observing that Kejriwal failed to satisfy this court that he has been using the two permitted legal meetings per week solely for the purpose of discussing the pending litigation with his counsel.

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too
President Sukhbir Badal on Wednesday demanded a judicial probe into the Punjab "liquor scam" as well as the misuse of state resources to fund the Aam Aadmi Party’s election campaign in various states. His demand came following the Delhi High Court rejecting Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s petition challenging his arrest by the ED.

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too

Will announce Ludhiana, Jalandhar candidates on April 16: Punjab CM

Will announce Ludhiana, Jalandhar candidates on April 16: Punjab CM
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) will announce its Lok Sabha candidates for Ludhiana and Jalandhar on April 16, AAP Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann said on Wednesday. The AAP has already announced nine Lok Sabha candidates in Punjab.

Will announce Ludhiana, Jalandhar candidates on April 16: Punjab CM