Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Navy officer among tourists killed in Pahalgam terror carnage

Darpan News Desk IANS, 22 Apr, 2025 11:33 AM
  • Navy officer among tourists killed in Pahalgam terror carnage

Srinagar, April 22 (IANS) An Indian navy officer was among the tourists killed by terrorists in J&K’s Pahalgam hill station.

A defence official said, “One Indian Navy Officer, Lieutenant Vinay Narwal (aged 26 years), who was posted in Kochi, has been killed in the Pahalgam attack while he was on leave. He is a native of Haryana and got married on 16 April.”

While officials here said that the death toll in Tuesday’s terror attack will be released after the list is compiled with names and addresses of the victims, sources confirmed to IANS that 26 tourists have been killed, including two foreigners and 20 injured, including tourists and locals.

Most of the injured, who are stable, are being treated at the Pahalgam hospital, while those with critical injuries have been shifted for specialised treatment to Srinagar.

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry in the Valley and Jammu have called for a protest shutdown against the terror attack tomorrow.

Local traders, tour and travel operators and others have supported the shutdown call.

Candlelight protests were carried out by locals in Srinagar, Pahalgam, Baramulla and other places. The protesters demanded punishment for the terrorists responsible for the Pahalgam carnage.

Tuesday’s is the biggest terror attack in J&K after the 2019 Pulwama terror attack. The home minister,

Union Home Minister Amit Shah chaired a high-level security meeting at the Raj Bhawan in Srinagar.

The meeting was attended by LG Manoj Sinha, Union Home Secretary, Director IB, senior army and paramilitary officers, J&K DGP and intelligence officers.

Amit Shah is visiting the terror attack site tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a massive anti-terrorist operation is presently going on in the Pahalgam area to hunt down the terrorists responsible for today’s cowardly attack.

The Resistance Front (TRF,) an offshoot of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror outfit, has claimed responsibility for the terror attack on unarmed, innocent tourists.

MORE India ARTICLES

Kolkata hospital horror: Delhi HC Bar Association members to wear white ribbon band as mark of protest

Kolkata hospital horror: Delhi HC Bar Association members to wear white ribbon band as mark of protest
The Executive Committee of the Delhi High Court Bar Association on Tuesday convened an emergent meeting and condemned the "barbaric and brutal incident of rape and murder of an innocent and young postgraduate trainee doctor while on duty at the state-run R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital in state of West Bengal".

Kolkata hospital horror: Delhi HC Bar Association members to wear white ribbon band as mark of protest

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case
A court here on Tuesday extended the judicial custody of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal till August 27 in connection with the alleged excise policy scam. Kejriwal was produced before Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of the Rouse Avenue Court through video conferencing from Tihar Jail upon the expiry of his previously granted custody.

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has consistently demonstrated visionary leadership throughout his career. From his early days as a young leader and RSS worker to his tenure as Gujarat Chief Minister and now as Prime Minister, he has consistently emphasised the importance of adhering to traditions while maintaining optimism about the future. His enduring belief in these values is seen as a key driver of India’s growth-oriented trajectory in the 21st century.

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21
All the educational institutions will remain closed in seven districts of Rajasthan on August 21 in the wake of the Bharat Bandh call given by the Aarakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti. The shutdown will be witnessed in the districts of Jaipur, Alwar, Dausa, Sawai Madhopur, Deeg, Jaisalmer and Bharatpur.

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case
Bihar Police in Muzaffarpur have arrested three more accused, including the primary suspect Sanjay Rai in connection with the gang rape and murder of a minor Dalit girl. The district police had filed a First Information Report (FIR) against six individuals based on a complaint filed by the victim’s mother at the Paroo police station of the district.

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case
Over 70 Padma-awardee doctors on Sunday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking his personal intervention in the case connected to the rape and murder of a junior doctor at the R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata last week, triggering nationwide protests by the medical fraternity.

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case