Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

One held for attack on Punjab Police intel HQs in Mohali

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 May, 2022 12:03 PM
  • One held for attack on Punjab Police intel HQs in Mohali

New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) In a major breakthrough in the rocket launcher attack on the headquartes of Punjab Police's intelligence wing in Mohali, a person named Nishan Singh has been arrested with the help of inputs provided by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

According to sources, Singh, a resident of Faridkot, was the person who had launched the attack on Monday.

A rocket-propelled grenade or RPG was fired from the street that shattered the window panes of Punjab Police's intelligence headquarters in Mohali.

"A minor explosion was reported at the Punjab Police Intelligence Headquarters in Sector 77, SAS Nagar, at around 7.45 PM. No damage has been reported. Senior officers are on the spot and an investigation is being done. Forensic teams have been called," the police in Mohali had said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, a team of NIA visited Mohali and inspected the whole crime scene. The NIA believes that Khalistani groups are thriving in Punjab, whihc might have carried out the attack after doing recee of the area.

The RPG had landed on the third floor of the building, shattering the window panes and a portion of the false ceiling. It is said that an RPG-22 might have been used in the attack.

The preliminary probe has indicated that two car-borne persons might have been involved in the attack. A Swift Dezire car was reportedly spotted outside the intelligence wing headquartes before the attack.

The police are trying to gather CCTV footages from the nearby areas. A number of persons living in the neighborhood have been questioned.

"A terror unit of NIA is in touch with the Punjab Police. A few intelligence reports were issued stating that Khalistani outfits are active and they are planning to disturb peace in the area," said a source.

MORE India ARTICLES

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Her blood sample reported positive result at the KGMU laboratory, and will now be sent for reconfirmation to the National Institute of Virology in Pune.

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

A 76-year-old man from Kalburgi is India’s first casualty due to coronavirus, announced Karnataka state government Thursday. This is reportedly India’s first fatality due to COVID-19.    

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

In an unprecedented lockdown for Covid-19, India on Wednesday notified cancellation of all non-official visas to curb incoming traffic and advised against all non-essential travel abroad which also curbs outgoing travel.

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder

Investigative agencies have received a video of the killing of Intelligence Bureau staffer Ankit Sharma from the people of the locality and soon the name of his killer will be revealed, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder

I Sent NSA Ajit Doval To Riot Hit Areas: Amit Shah

The NSA had visited the riot-hit areas of Jafrabad and Maujpur in northeast Delhi where he interacted with the locals on the streets.

I Sent NSA Ajit Doval To Riot Hit Areas: Amit Shah

Coronavirus: India Suspends All Tourist Visas And E-Visas For Travellers From 13 March To 15 April

India on March 11 suspended all tourist visas till April 15 in a bid to contain spread of the novel coronavirus, according to an official statement.

Coronavirus: India Suspends All Tourist Visas And E-Visas For Travellers From 13 March To 15 April