Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Odisha train tragedy: 29 of 81 bodies identified through DNA testing

Odisha train tragedy: 29 of 81 bodies identified through DNA testing
At least 293 people died and over 1,000 were injured after the Chennai-bound Coromandel Express, Howrah bound SMVP-Howrah Superfast Express and a goods train were involved in a tragic accident near the Bahanaga Bazar railway station in Odisha's Balasore district on June 2 evening.

Odisha train tragedy: 29 of 81 bodies identified through DNA testing

Two arrested with drugs worth Rs 8 cr in Delhi

Two arrested with drugs worth Rs 8 cr in Delhi
With the arrest of two men, the Delhi Police’s Special Cell on Friday claimed to have busted an inter-state drug cartel and recovered 1.505 kg fine quality heroin and 2.126 kg tramadol powder worth more than Rs eight crore, an official said. The accused were identified as Dharmender Kumar (26) and Visheshwar Yadav (40), both residents of Chatra in Jharkhand.

Two arrested with drugs worth Rs 8 cr in Delhi

Former Punjab deputy speaker Bir Devinder Singh dies

Former Punjab deputy speaker Bir Devinder Singh dies
Former Punjab Legislative Assembly Deputy Speaker and two-time legislator Bir Devinder Singh died at the PGI Chandigarh on Friday. He was 73. His close associates said he had been suffering from cancer and was undergoing treatment in the PGI. He was the deputy speaker between 2003 and 2004.

Former Punjab deputy speaker Bir Devinder Singh dies

Punjab CM hosts farewell for retiring Chief Secretary Janjua

Punjab CM hosts farewell for retiring Chief Secretary Janjua
In a first of its kind gesture, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann hosted a farewell party for Chief Secretary Vijay Kumar Janjua, who superannuated on Friday, at his office here amidst the presence of large number of IAS officers. In his remarks on the occasion, the Chief Minister said Janjua had served on various positions during his distinguished career of 34 years as an IAS officer.

Punjab CM hosts farewell for retiring Chief Secretary Janjua

Will PM Modi stick to picking ex-bureaucrats in possible Cabinet reshuffle?

Will PM Modi stick to picking ex-bureaucrats in possible Cabinet reshuffle?
The question is whether the Prime Minister will once again induct former bureaucrats in his Cabinet. As per officials, the crucial meeting on Monday is likely to take place at the newly-built convention centre at the Pragati Maidan -- the venue that will host the G20 summit in September this year.

Will PM Modi stick to picking ex-bureaucrats in possible Cabinet reshuffle?

Punjab starts process of confiscating assets in multi-crore ponzi scam: CM Mann

Punjab starts process of confiscating assets in multi-crore ponzi scam: CM Mann
The Pearls Group had allegedly cheated thousands of people by illegally operating different investment schemes. The CBI, which has been investigating the scam since February 19, 2014, has alleged that over Rs 60,000 crore was siphoned off by the two flagship companies of Pearls Group.  

Punjab starts process of confiscating assets in multi-crore ponzi scam: CM Mann