Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab aims to achieve growth rate of 7.5% by 2030: Minister

Punjab aims to achieve growth rate of 7.5% by 2030: Minister
Punjab Finance Minister Harpal Singh Cheema on Monday said the government has been drafting a vision document to achieve a rate of growth of the economy at 7.5 per cent per annum by 2030 and 10 per cent by 2047. He said this document would act as a guide for successive governments to focus their efforts and policies in the right direction.

Punjab aims to achieve growth rate of 7.5% by 2030: Minister

Three trains cancelled due to restoration work in Odisha

Three trains cancelled due to restoration work in Odisha
The SCR announced on Friday that the following trains, which were scheduled to commence journey on June 10 stand cancelled; Train Number 12551 SMVT Bengaluru- Kamakhya, 12253 SMVT Bengaluru - Bhagalpur and 12666 Kanniyakumari - Howrah.

Three trains cancelled due to restoration work in Odisha

Punjab to construct high-security digital jail near Ludhiana: CM Mann

Punjab to construct high-security digital jail near Ludhiana: CM Mann
Addressing a gathering after handing over the appointment letters to the newly recruited Jail Warders in Ladda Kothi in Sangrur, the Chief Minister said Rs 100 crore has been approved by the Government of India to set up the digital jail.

Punjab to construct high-security digital jail near Ludhiana: CM Mann

Man cheated 50 women using matrimonial app over 20 yrs, held

Man cheated 50 women using matrimonial app over 20 yrs, held
A 55-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly cheating 50 women of lakhs of rupees after marrying them through different matrimonial websites over a period of 20 years, police said here on Friday.  Tapesh, a native of Jamshedpur, was arrested by the Gurugram police on Thursday from Odisha.

Man cheated 50 women using matrimonial app over 20 yrs, held

India, US to discuss ways to strengthen strategic partnership during PM Modi's visit

India, US to discuss ways to strengthen strategic partnership during PM Modi's visit
PM Modi and US President Joe Biden will also discuss ways to strengthen the shared commitment towards ensuring a free, prosperous and secure Indo-Pacific, she added while addressing the mediapersons.

India, US to discuss ways to strengthen strategic partnership during PM Modi's visit

Gurugram: Fake call centre targeting US citizens busted, 14 held

Gurugram: Fake call centre targeting US citizens busted, 14 held
The fake call centre was operating from Universal Trade Tower, Sector-49, and cheated US citizens in the name of tech support and charged $100 to $500 as service charges, via gift card, Amazon, Paypal and Cash app.

Gurugram: Fake call centre targeting US citizens busted, 14 held