Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Arrest WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh by June 9: Haryana 'mahapanchayat'

Arrest WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh by June 9: Haryana 'mahapanchayat'
Addressing a huge gathering, Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Rakesh Tikait warned the Central government that if no action is taken against Brij Bhushan by June 9, they will hold a larger protest along with wrestlers.

Arrest WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh by June 9: Haryana 'mahapanchayat'

To beat the heat, thieves decamp with ice cream - and deep-freezer- from Mumbai supermart!

To beat the heat, thieves decamp with ice cream - and deep-freezer- from Mumbai supermart!
Immediately, Kudalkar set up a crack team comprising Akhilesh Bombe, Sandeep Gorde, Praveen Jopale, Arjun Aher, Ganesh Shermale, Sandeep Parit to solve the strange theft within barely three hours.

To beat the heat, thieves decamp with ice cream - and deep-freezer- from Mumbai supermart!

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held
The arrested individuals have been identified as Mohammad Zafar Iqbal (38), Noor Hussain (28), Sumit (32), Abhishek Mishra (30), Sheikh Ibrahim (28), Abhishek Gupta (35), and Mohammad Adil (32)

Fake international call centre busted in Gurugram; 7 held

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar
A Special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Court in Jalandhar has awarded four years of rigorous imprisonment to one Mahabir Singh, a drug smuggler in Amritsar for committing the offence of money laundering.  The court while awarding him a jail term also imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 on him.

Drug smuggler held guilty by special ED court in Amritsar

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy
One of the major challenges before the authorities is now to provide medical care to the injured persons. As per reports, over 200 persons have been seriously injured in the mishap. A 100-bed hospital and a dedicated ambulance corridor have been made ready at the SCB Medical College and Hospital. 

50 dead and over 200 injured in Odisha train tragedy

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore
The court sentenced P. Senthilkumar, the then CEO-cum-Chairman of Palpap Ichinichi Software International Ltd, Chennai, to five years rigorous imprisonment while T.R. Dhanasekar and R. Karunanidhi, both then Directors of SJS Network and Services Ltd, Chennai, were sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment. 

Five sent to jail for cheating Indian Bank of Rs 4.19 crore