Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

PM Modi set to undertake historic Kuwait visit this week, first by Indian Prime Minister in 43 years

Darpan News Desk IANS, 18 Dec, 2024 01:06 PM
  • PM Modi set to undertake historic Kuwait visit this week, first by Indian Prime Minister in 43 years

New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi will undertake a two-day visit to Kuwait starting December 21 in what would be the first visit by an Indian PM to the key West Asian country in 43 years.

During the visit, the Prime Minister will hold discussions with the leadership of Kuwait - including Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the Amir of the State of Kuwait - the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Wednesday.

During the two-day visit he is also scheduled to interact with the Indian community in Kuwait.

"India and Kuwait share traditionally close and friendly relations which are rooted in history and have been underpinned by economic and strong people to people linkages. India is among the top trading partners of Kuwait. The Indian community is the largest expatriate community in Kuwait. The visit will provide an opportunity to further strengthen the multifaceted ties between India and Kuwait," read a statement issued by the MEA.

Earlier this month, as he called on PM Modi at his Lok Kalyan Marg residence during his visit to New Delhi, Kuwait's Foreign Minister Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya had extended an invitation to the Prime Minister from the Kuwait leadership to visit the country "at the earliest opportunity which the PM had graciously accepted.

A few hours later, as he held the delegation-level talks with External Affairs Minister (EAM) S. Jaishankar at the Hyderabad House, Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya called India as a "very important partner" and Prime Minister Modi as "one of the wisest persons" in the world.

"I would like to thank you for the invitation and also for the opportunity of meeting Prime Minister Modi, who we believe is one of the wisest persons worldwide. I am sure that the Prime Minister puts India on a better level, and I am sure that he will continue that... India is a very important partner and we count on our relationship," the visiting Foreign Minister said in the meeting held on December 4.

Kuwait currently holds the current presidency of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) - also comprising the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman and Qatar - and the only GCC member country that PM Modi has not visited so far since assuming office in 2014. A proposed visit in 2022 was postponed due to the Covid pandemic.

In September, PM Modi had met with Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, Crown Prince of the State of Kuwait, on the sidelines of the 79th session of the UNGA in New York in what was the first meeting between the two leaders.

Recalling the strong historical ties and people-to-people linkages between the two countries during the meeting, ​Prime Minister Modi had conveyed that India attaches "utmost importance" to its bilateral relations with Kuwait.

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) later said that the meeting between the leadership of the two countries is expected to impart a "fresh momentum" to bilateral ties between India and Kuwait.

"They noted with satisfaction that the two countries were supporting each other with energy and food security requirements. They expressed their firm commitment to deepen and diversify bilateral ties for the mutual benefit of both countries. Prime Minister thanked the Crown Prince for ensuring the well-being of the Indian community in Kuwait, which is the largest diaspora group in the country," read a statement issued by the MEA on September 22, 2024.

During his discussions with the visiting Kuwait Foreign Minister earlier this month, PM Modi had once again expressed confidence that the close cooperation between India and the Gulf Cooperation Council would be further strengthened under Kuwait’s ongoing Presidency of the GCC.

As they exchanged views on the situation in West Asia and expressed support for early return of peace, security and stability in the region, PM Modi thanked the leadership of Kuwait for taking care of the one million strong Indian community living in Kuwait.

Later, EAM Jaishankar and Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya had reaffirmed their joint commitment to enhancing stability and security in the region and the world.

"Following the meeting, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on the establishment of a joint committee for bilateral cooperation between the State of Kuwait and the Republic of India, which reflects the determination of the two friendly countries to push the level of bilateral relations to higher, broader and more comprehensive levels," stated Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah
A delegation of Congress on Tuesday met the Election Commission and sought action against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah over violation of the Model Code of Conduct for their remarks on its party leaders despite submitting a complaint few days ago. The party said that it is as much the credibility of the Commission which is a stake as of the Model Code of Conduct.

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius
The air quality in the national Capital continued to remain under the ‘very poor’ category on Tuesday evening with the AQI at 318, according to data from the System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research (SAFAR). Meanwhile the India Meteorological Department said that the maximum temperature in the national Capital was registered at 22 degrees Celsius, four notches below the seasonal average.

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday said that he was relieved as all the 41 trapped workers from the under-construction Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand were rescued safely. He said that it was a well coordinated effort by multiple agencies marking one of the most significant rescue operations in recent years.  

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses
The operation to rescue 41 workers trapped inside the collapsed Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district was halted after the platform supporting the auger machine which is drilling through the debris collapsed on Thursday evening. Girish Singh Rawat, one of the members of the rescue operation team, said: "Drilling cannot be done until the platform is ready. It may take five to six hours to get the platform ready."

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed
The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) said that 100 km of viaducts were ready for the 508 km of the mega Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor project while 250 km of pier work has been completed. The NHSRCL said that on November 25, 2021 first girder was launched while the first km of viaduct was completed on June 30, 2022 in a span of six months.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media
Social media posts of the juvenile who stabbed a 17-year-old over 70 times during a street robbery here, likely hinted at his inclination towards violence or "thirst for blood". The accused minor shared videos on his social media account, displaying knives, firearms, and footage of himself within court premises portraying a criminal image, possibly fostering a misguided sense of pride.

Delhi Horror: Demon's street dance, firearms, knives dominate juvenile's social media