Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Guwahati, March 19 (IANS) The process of transferring seven associates of radical Sikh preacher Amritpal Singh, who were arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) at Dibrugarh Central Jail, to Punjab, is approaching completion, officials said on Wednesday.

The seven aides of Amritpal are set to be handed over to the Punjab Police team by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

In the past two days, four detainees -- Gurmeet Singh, Bhagwant Singh (alias Pradhan Mantri Bajeke), Daljit Singh Kalsi, and Basant Singh -- were released by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

Immediately upon their release, Punjab Police re-arrested them in relation to a case registered at the Ajnala Police Station in Punjab.

The re-arrested individuals were subsequently presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's (CJM) Court in Dibrugarh. As per court orders, they were placed under transit remand on March 17 and 18 for further legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, the remaining detainees -- Kulwant Singh, Harjeet Singh, and Kulwinder Pal Singh -- are expected to be released on Wednesday as their NSA detention period has expired.

Following their release, Punjab Police will produce them before the judicial court in Dibrugarh and seek transit remand for further legal actions.

Amritpal Singh, the leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ outfit, and his nine aides were lodged in the Dibrugarh jail in Assam as NSA was slapped on them two years ago.

In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, Singh contested as an independent and emerged victorious from the Khadoor Sahib seat in Punjab. The detainees had been lodged in Dibrugarh Central Jail since March 2023, following a crackdown on Amritpal Singh and his associates in Punjab.

Authorities had invoked the NSA due to concerns regarding their involvement in activities that could disturb public order and national security.

According to a top Punjab Police official, the inquiry into the 2023 attack incident at the Ajnala police station would continue. The official further stated that 10 individuals who were detained under the NSA have not yet been formally arrested in connection with the attack on the Ajnala police station.

He stated, “We are moving forward with the investigation. We will arrest the seven individuals in that incident and return them to Punjab. We will bring them here in that case and take forward the investigation,” the senior police official added.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Gurugram: 5 shooters of Lawrence Bishnoi & Rohit Godara gang arrested

Gurugram: 5 shooters of Lawrence Bishnoi & Rohit Godara gang arrested
A total of five shooters of the notorious Lawrence Bishnoi and Rohit Godara gang have been arrested here, the police said on Monday, adding weapons were also recovered from the possession of the apprehended individuals. One of the arrested shooters was working as an "internet service provider" in the Farrukhnagar area of Gurugram. Following his disclosure about others, a Special Task Force (STF) team also apprehended four other shooters.  

Gurugram: 5 shooters of Lawrence Bishnoi & Rohit Godara gang arrested

Instagram 'brothers' dupe woman of Rs 2 L in UP

Instagram 'brothers' dupe woman of Rs 2 L in UP
A woman was allegedly duped of Rs 2 lakh by three 'brothers' on Instagram after the latter befriended her, the police said. In the first such case, cyber fraudsters promised the woman wedding gifts from "brothers" and trapped her in a fraudulent scheme.

Instagram 'brothers' dupe woman of Rs 2 L in UP

56 schools in Jaipur receive bomb threat on 16th anniversary of serial blasts

56 schools in Jaipur receive bomb threat on 16th anniversary of serial blasts
Fifty-six schools in Jaipur received a bomb threat on Monday, at a time when the city observed the 16th anniversary of serial bomb blasts that rocked Rajasthan's capital, killing scores of people and injuring many others, the police said. The police team and bomb disposal squads rushed to the spot after receiving information about the bomb threats through an e-mail in the morning, following which children were also evacuated from all the schools safely.

56 schools in Jaipur receive bomb threat on 16th anniversary of serial blasts

PM Modi working 18-19 hours every day to transform India: Hardeep Puri

PM Modi working 18-19 hours every day to transform India: Hardeep Puri
Terming it a "once in a lifetime" experience to work with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Hardeep Singh Puri said on Tuesday that the PM remains committed to the 'Viksit Bharat' mission, working tirelessly with full passion for 18-19 hours every day to transform India.

PM Modi working 18-19 hours every day to transform India: Hardeep Puri

One killed, six rescued after fire breaks out at ITO building in Delhi

One killed, six rescued after fire breaks out at ITO building in Delhi
A 46-year-old man died while six others were rescued after a fire broke out on the third floor of the Central Revenue building in the ITO area of the national capital on Tuesday, officials said. Several people working in the building were evacuated through the windows using ladders, a fire department official said.

One killed, six rescued after fire breaks out at ITO building in Delhi

PM Modi to hold roadshow in Mumbai on May 15

PM Modi to hold roadshow in Mumbai on May 15
Prime Minister Narendra Modi ahead of the fifth polling phase in 13 constituencies from Maharashtra slated for May 20 will have a busy schedule on May 15. PM Modi will hold a roadshow in Mumbai North East Constituency on Wednesday evening for party nominee Mihir Kotecha and he will also address two campaign rallies in Nashik and Kalyan.

PM Modi to hold roadshow in Mumbai on May 15