Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Guwahati, March 19 (IANS) The process of transferring seven associates of radical Sikh preacher Amritpal Singh, who were arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) at Dibrugarh Central Jail, to Punjab, is approaching completion, officials said on Wednesday.

The seven aides of Amritpal are set to be handed over to the Punjab Police team by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

In the past two days, four detainees -- Gurmeet Singh, Bhagwant Singh (alias Pradhan Mantri Bajeke), Daljit Singh Kalsi, and Basant Singh -- were released by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

Immediately upon their release, Punjab Police re-arrested them in relation to a case registered at the Ajnala Police Station in Punjab.

The re-arrested individuals were subsequently presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's (CJM) Court in Dibrugarh. As per court orders, they were placed under transit remand on March 17 and 18 for further legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, the remaining detainees -- Kulwant Singh, Harjeet Singh, and Kulwinder Pal Singh -- are expected to be released on Wednesday as their NSA detention period has expired.

Following their release, Punjab Police will produce them before the judicial court in Dibrugarh and seek transit remand for further legal actions.

Amritpal Singh, the leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ outfit, and his nine aides were lodged in the Dibrugarh jail in Assam as NSA was slapped on them two years ago.

In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, Singh contested as an independent and emerged victorious from the Khadoor Sahib seat in Punjab. The detainees had been lodged in Dibrugarh Central Jail since March 2023, following a crackdown on Amritpal Singh and his associates in Punjab.

Authorities had invoked the NSA due to concerns regarding their involvement in activities that could disturb public order and national security.

According to a top Punjab Police official, the inquiry into the 2023 attack incident at the Ajnala police station would continue. The official further stated that 10 individuals who were detained under the NSA have not yet been formally arrested in connection with the attack on the Ajnala police station.

He stated, “We are moving forward with the investigation. We will arrest the seven individuals in that incident and return them to Punjab. We will bring them here in that case and take forward the investigation,” the senior police official added.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

India conducts successful training launch of short-range Agni-1 missile

India conducts successful training launch of short-range Agni-1 missile
The Defence Ministry on Thursday said that a successful training launch of the short-range ballistic missile 'Agni-1' has been conducted, an official said. The training launch was carried out from APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.  

India conducts successful training launch of short-range Agni-1 missile

India's Q2 growth has been highest in the world: Sitharaman

India's Q2 growth has been highest in the world: Sitharaman
Addressing the Rajya Sabha during the Winter Session of the Parliament while replying to a debate on the economic situation in the country which was held over three days with the participation of many members, Sithraman said that the manufacturing sector has contributed significantly to the economy on the back of various measures like PLI schemes. 

India's Q2 growth has been highest in the world: Sitharaman

PM expresses grief over loss of live due to Cyclone Michaung

PM expresses grief over loss of live due to Cyclone Michaung
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday expressed deep grief over the loss of lives due to Cyclone Michaung, especially in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Puducherry. Modi also prayed for those injured or affected in this cyclone and said that authorities are working tirelessly on the ground to assist those affected and will continue their work till the situation fully normalises.

PM expresses grief over loss of live due to Cyclone Michaung

Govt blocks 100 websites involved in job scams, illegal investments

Govt blocks 100 websites involved in job scams, illegal investments
The government in a statement on Wednesday said that the Indian Cybercrime Coordination Centre (I4C), an initiative of the Ministry of Home Affairs, through its vertical NCTAU had last week identified and recommended over 100 websites involved in organised investment or task-based part-time job frauds. "Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), invoking its power under the Information Technology Act, 2000, has blocked these websites," the government said.

Govt blocks 100 websites involved in job scams, illegal investments

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year
Over 400 individuals have been arrested this year for touting at Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, more than double compared to last year, a Delhi Police official said. Persistent issues of inconvenience and harassment to passengers have prompted authorities to take decisive action against unauthorised solicitation, the official added.

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat
According to Sohana Police (formerly, Mohali) official Mukesh Sinha, the accused Shailesh Mehta, 71, was nabbed from his purported hideout at an old-age home in Ahmedabad following a FIR registered after a complaint lodged by Punjab businessman Viresh Singhal.

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat