Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Guwahati, March 19 (IANS) The process of transferring seven associates of radical Sikh preacher Amritpal Singh, who were arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) at Dibrugarh Central Jail, to Punjab, is approaching completion, officials said on Wednesday.

The seven aides of Amritpal are set to be handed over to the Punjab Police team by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

In the past two days, four detainees -- Gurmeet Singh, Bhagwant Singh (alias Pradhan Mantri Bajeke), Daljit Singh Kalsi, and Basant Singh -- were released by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

Immediately upon their release, Punjab Police re-arrested them in relation to a case registered at the Ajnala Police Station in Punjab.

The re-arrested individuals were subsequently presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's (CJM) Court in Dibrugarh. As per court orders, they were placed under transit remand on March 17 and 18 for further legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, the remaining detainees -- Kulwant Singh, Harjeet Singh, and Kulwinder Pal Singh -- are expected to be released on Wednesday as their NSA detention period has expired.

Following their release, Punjab Police will produce them before the judicial court in Dibrugarh and seek transit remand for further legal actions.

Amritpal Singh, the leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ outfit, and his nine aides were lodged in the Dibrugarh jail in Assam as NSA was slapped on them two years ago.

In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, Singh contested as an independent and emerged victorious from the Khadoor Sahib seat in Punjab. The detainees had been lodged in Dibrugarh Central Jail since March 2023, following a crackdown on Amritpal Singh and his associates in Punjab.

Authorities had invoked the NSA due to concerns regarding their involvement in activities that could disturb public order and national security.

According to a top Punjab Police official, the inquiry into the 2023 attack incident at the Ajnala police station would continue. The official further stated that 10 individuals who were detained under the NSA have not yet been formally arrested in connection with the attack on the Ajnala police station.

He stated, “We are moving forward with the investigation. We will arrest the seven individuals in that incident and return them to Punjab. We will bring them here in that case and take forward the investigation,” the senior police official added.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal
In a statement here, senior SAD leader Daljit Singh Cheema said “the Chief Minister wants to hold a debate on the SYL canal on November 1 but his own government has compromised the state’s case in the Supreme Court". "Now an AAP MP from Punjab is batting for Haryana and upholding the Supreme Court verdict and even claiming that the matter is only political," he said.

Akali Dal asks Punjab CM to clarify stand on SYL canal

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC
The recommendation for appointment of advocates Harmeet Singh Grewal, Deepinder Singh Nalwa, Sumeet Goel, Sudeepti Sharma, and Kirti Singh as judges was made on April 21 this year by the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court in consultation with his two senior-most colleagues.

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

Kwakta bomb blast case

Kwakta bomb blast case
The NIA has arrested a man in connection with the June 21 Kwakta bomb blast case that left three people injured, an officer from the central agency said on Monday. According to the NIA officer, on Monday in an Intelligence-based joint operation with the Assam Police, the agency has arrested Mohd Noor Hussain from Silchar in Assam.

Kwakta bomb blast case

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi
Delhi Police has apprehended three men and seized approximately 1,300 kilograms of firecrackers from their possession. In view of the ban in Delhi, the accused allegedly procured the firecrackers from neighbouring Gurugram. The accused identified as Yogender (62), Kishan Lal (60), both residents of Kotala Mubarakpur, and Akash Vashishith (35), a resident of Malviya Nagar, had procured the stock of firecrackers from Farukhnagar near Gurugram. 

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with law in connection with the May 4 viral video case in Manipur, involving sexual assault on women and killing of two men. It filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with the law (CCL) before the special CBI court here.  

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar
The Railways on Thursday confirmed that four passengers have died and 30 others injured in the derailment of the North East Express train in Bihra's Buxar district. Following the accident, East Central Railway GM Tarun Prakash, Danapur DRM Jayant Kumar Chaudhary and other officers reached Raghunathpur to take control of the situation. The technical teams initiated investigation of the mishap.

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar