Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Punjab CM launches portal for direct seeding of rice

Darpan News Desk IANS, 25 May, 2022 10:56 AM
  • Punjab CM launches portal for direct seeding of rice

Chandigarh, May 25 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Wednesday launched a direct seeding of rice (DSR) portal to facilitate farmers to give their consent for area to be sown with this technology.

Lauding this farmer-friendly initiative, Mann said it would be instrumental to compile the entire data about each and every farmer, who has opted for DSR technique besides ensuring payment of Rs 1,500 per acre after proper verification through this portal to the genuine beneficiaries in a fair and transparent manner.

Apprising the Chief Minister about the modalities of the portal, Additional Chief Secretary Agriculture said after proper verification, the incentive amount would be directly transferred into the bank accounts of the respective farmers.

With the adoption of this innovative technology, at least 15-20 per cent water will be saved. Besides, it will help in effective percolation of water, ultimately improving the groundwater level through proper recharging.

This cost-effective technique would also cut-down the labour cost by nearly Rs 4,000 per acre.

The state governement has already deployed 3,000 officers and officials of various departments to oversee the DSR operations for imparting proper technical guidance to the farmers as well as undertaking verification of the area sown under this advanced technology.

The farmers from across the state are expected to cultivate paddy, including basmati over an area of 30 lakh hectares (75 lakh acres) during this kharif season.

As per available data, paddy was sown last year in an area of 15 lakh acres (six lakh hectares) through DSR and during this season, the state government has fixed the target of 30 lakh acres under the new technique.

Photo courtesy of IStock. 

MORE India ARTICLES

Second wave not yet over, Delta plus may not be dangerous: NTAGI chief

Second wave not yet over, Delta plus may not be dangerous: NTAGI chief
 India is still witnessing the second wave which is not yet over as northeastern states and some parts of south India are still battling it, a member of the government's Covid expert panel said on Thursday.

Second wave not yet over, Delta plus may not be dangerous: NTAGI chief

Nobel Laureate Satyarthi demands urgent passage of Anti-Trafficking bill in monsoon session

Nobel Laureate Satyarthi demands urgent passage of Anti-Trafficking bill in monsoon session
The passage of the bill through both the houses of the parliament will be fulfilment of the demand of 12 lakh Indians who marched across 22 states and 12,000km demanding a strong law against trafficking along with Kailash Satyarthi in 2017.

Nobel Laureate Satyarthi demands urgent passage of Anti-Trafficking bill in monsoon session

Fake currency racket busted in Raj, 2 arrested

Fake currency racket busted in Raj, 2 arrested
The SOG also seized a factory which was engaged in printing fake Indian currency notes (FICN) that was being run from a villa.

Fake currency racket busted in Raj, 2 arrested

Punjab waives Rs 590 crore farm debt loans

Punjab waives Rs 590 crore farm debt loans
Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh has announced waiver of Rs 590 crore worth of loans under the farm debt waiver scheme for labourers and the landless farming community, an official statement said on Wednesday.

Punjab waives Rs 590 crore farm debt loans

EV policy: Delhi govt to empanel discoms to provide charging units

EV policy: Delhi govt to empanel discoms to provide charging units
Under this proposed plan, the purchase and installation of EV chargers will be provided under two options -- outright purchase (an outright option is one that is purchased individually and is not part of a multiple leg options trade) and on a monthly subscription basis.

EV policy: Delhi govt to empanel discoms to provide charging units

3rd Covid wave hits world, join hands to avoid it in India: Paul

3rd Covid wave hits world, join hands to avoid it in India: Paul
Noting that the world has been witnessing the third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, NITI Aayog member V.K. Paul on Tuesday appealed to Indians to join hands to avoid its spread in India, warning that a "majority of cases will be reported if the next wave comes".

3rd Covid wave hits world, join hands to avoid it in India: Paul