Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Punjab CM launches portal for direct seeding of rice

Darpan News Desk IANS, 25 May, 2022 10:56 AM
  • Punjab CM launches portal for direct seeding of rice

Chandigarh, May 25 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Wednesday launched a direct seeding of rice (DSR) portal to facilitate farmers to give their consent for area to be sown with this technology.

Lauding this farmer-friendly initiative, Mann said it would be instrumental to compile the entire data about each and every farmer, who has opted for DSR technique besides ensuring payment of Rs 1,500 per acre after proper verification through this portal to the genuine beneficiaries in a fair and transparent manner.

Apprising the Chief Minister about the modalities of the portal, Additional Chief Secretary Agriculture said after proper verification, the incentive amount would be directly transferred into the bank accounts of the respective farmers.

With the adoption of this innovative technology, at least 15-20 per cent water will be saved. Besides, it will help in effective percolation of water, ultimately improving the groundwater level through proper recharging.

This cost-effective technique would also cut-down the labour cost by nearly Rs 4,000 per acre.

The state governement has already deployed 3,000 officers and officials of various departments to oversee the DSR operations for imparting proper technical guidance to the farmers as well as undertaking verification of the area sown under this advanced technology.

The farmers from across the state are expected to cultivate paddy, including basmati over an area of 30 lakh hectares (75 lakh acres) during this kharif season.

As per available data, paddy was sown last year in an area of 15 lakh acres (six lakh hectares) through DSR and during this season, the state government has fixed the target of 30 lakh acres under the new technique.

Photo courtesy of IStock. 

MORE India ARTICLES

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over
Tata Sons Chairman Emeritus Ratan Tata has defended a woman on Instagram after she got criticised for calling him 'Chhotu'.

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank
The 51-year-old bureaucrat-turned-politician almost replicated the AAP’s fairy-tale victory of 2015 by riding on his government’s development agenda, and in the process emerged as a key leader in the national political landscape.

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank

Nearly 45,000 Indian Pilgrims Visited Kartarpur Since It Opened

A total of 44,951 pilgrims travelled from November 9, 2019 to January 31, 2020 via Kartarpur corridor to pay obeisance at Sri Kartarpur Sahib, central government said in a written reply to a question.  

Nearly 45,000 Indian Pilgrims Visited Kartarpur Since It Opened

Wishes Pour In As Kejriwal Heads For Hat-Trick

Wishes Pour In As Kejriwal Heads For Hat-Trick
With Arvind Kejriwal looking all set for a third term as Delhi Chief Minister, congratulatory wishes are pouring in from leaders cutting across party lines.

Wishes Pour In As Kejriwal Heads For Hat-Trick

24-Yr-Old Canada-Returned Youth Sukhmanpreet Singh Shot Dead In Amritsar's Baba Bakala

DSP Harkrishan Singh said the crime took place on Sunday night at Butala village in Baba Bakala when Sukhmanpreet Singh returned home from a marriage function and was opening the main door of his house.  

24-Yr-Old Canada-Returned Youth Sukhmanpreet Singh Shot Dead In Amritsar's Baba Bakala

Shaheen Bagh Infant Death: Bravery Award Winner Zen Gunratan Sadavarte Writes To Chief Justice Of India

The case of the death of a four-month-old infant in Delhi's Shaheen Bagh has been termed as a violation of the "Right to Life" under the Constitution by twelve-year-old Zen Gunratan Sadavarte, who was recently awarded the National Bravery Award by President Ram Nath Kovind.    

Shaheen Bagh Infant Death: Bravery Award Winner Zen Gunratan Sadavarte Writes To Chief Justice Of India