Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

RG Kar financial case: Framing of charges postponed as HC gives more time to accused individuals

Darpan News Desk IANS, 06 Feb, 2025 04:43 PM
  • RG Kar financial case: Framing of charges postponed as HC gives more time to accused individuals

Kolkata, Feb 6 (IANS) The process of charges framing in the case of multi crore financial irregularities in state-run R.G. Kar Medical College & Hospital in Kolkata, which was scheduled at a special court in the city on Thursday, has been postponed with the Calcutta High Court directing more time in the matter to the accused individuals.

The next hearing on the matter at the division bench of Justice Joymalya Bagchi and Justice Subhendu Samanta will be on Friday. The division bench directed the counsels of both the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the accused five individuals, to discuss among themselves and mention a suggested date agreed by both parties by when the charge-framing process at the special court could begin.

The bench observed that they are not in favour of diluting the seriousness of the case by not allowing sufficient time to the accused to study the charges framed against them before beginning of the charge framing process.

The bench also raised the question of the hurry in beginning the charge-framing process when the documents related to the charges framed against the accused individuals were provided to their counsels by the CBI just on February 1.

However, the division bench, at the same time made it clear that by giving more time to the accused individuals to study the documents does not mean that the trial process in the matter will be unnecessarily prolonged.

The High Court bench also observed that if necessary, the Calcutta High Court might also supervise the trial process in the case at the special court.

Earlier, on Thursday, five accused individuals in the case approached the division bench of Justice Bagchi and Justice Samanta in the matter after their two attempts at a single- judge bench of Calcutta High Court to secure more time for the charge-framing process failed earlier this week.

On Wednesday, the single-judge bench of Justice Tirthankar Ghosh had rejected, for the second time, a plea by the accused seeking more time for charge framing. This follows a January 31 ruling where Justice Tirthankar Ghosh had dismissed a similar plea, directing the CBI to ensure charge-framing begins by February 6.

On Wednesday, the accused had moved a review petition before the same bench, which was also rejected. Justice Ghosh questioned its admissibility, emphasizing that his earlier rejection was based on careful consideration.

The CBI charge sheet names five individuals – former and controversial R.G. Kar principal Sandip Ghosh, his assistant-cum-bodyguard Afsar Ali, private contractors Biplab Sinha and Suman Hazra, and junior doctor Ashish Pandey. All five are currently in judicial custody.

The allegations against them involve significant financial irregularities at the medical college, and the outcome of the case is expected to have far-reaching implications.

MORE India ARTICLES

Farmers say meeting inconclusive, stick to 'Chalo Delhi' call on Feb 13

Farmers say meeting inconclusive, stick to 'Chalo Delhi' call on Feb 13
The Central government delegation was led by Union Minister Piyush Goyal, and comprised Agriculture Minister Arjun Munda, while Punjab minister Kuldeep Dhaliwal and state government officials were also present. According to sources, the talks made a little headway as farmers are adamant on getting legal guarantee for the minimum support price (MSP) for the crops.

Farmers say meeting inconclusive, stick to 'Chalo Delhi' call on Feb 13

Money laundering in Chennai

Money laundering in Chennai
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) officials conducted simultaneous raids at the premises of three real estate promoters on Friday, an official said. Sources told IANS that the raids were conducted in connection with money laundering charges. The ED acted on a case registered by the Tamil Nadu unit of the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC).

Money laundering in Chennai

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa
Goa Police on Thursday seized drugs -- charas, ganja and ecstasy -- valued at Rs 18.3 lakh, an official said here. Police said that the Anti-Narcotic Cell conducted a raid and found one person in alleged possession of drugs at Vagator in North Goa.

Drugs worth Rs 18.3L seized in Goa

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17
India will put into orbit its new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS on February 17 at 5.30 p.m. with the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) rocket, the Indian space agency said on Thursday. According to Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), in its 16th mission, the GSLV aims to put INSAT-3DS into the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.  

India to put new meteorological satellite INSAT-3DS into orbit on Feb 17

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper
Comparing the performance of the 10-year rule of the Narendra Modi government with that of the erstwhile UPA regime, the White Paper on Indian Economy tabled in the Lok Sabha by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman highlights the fact that in 2014, India was among the 'fragile five' economies, but now figures among the 'top five' economies, making the third highest contribution to global growth every year.  

Indian economy transformed from 'fragile five' to 'top five': White Paper

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat
The cybercrime wing of the Greater Chennai Police has launched a probe after five popular schools in the city received hoax bomb threat. An anonymous person sent e-mails to five popular schools under the Greater Chennai Police limits on Thursday, claiming that bombs would detonate in their premises.  

Probe launched in Chennai after 5 popular schools receive hoax bomb threat