Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Sadhvi Pragnya, Five Accused Let Off In Malegaon Terror Blast

The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2016 11:01 AM
    In a complete about turn, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Friday gave a clean chit to Malegaon blast key accused Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur and five others, paving the way for their early release from prison.
     
    However, eight more accused, including LT. Colonel Prasad Srikant Purohit, will continue to be prosecuted for their role in the September 29, 2008 terror bombing that claimed at least seven lives in the Muslim majority town of Maharashtra's Nashik district.
     
    The NIA in its supplementary charge-sheet filed before a special court here decided to drop terror charges under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against all the accused, an official said. Confessions made before a police officer are admissible in a court under the dreaded law.
     
    Those who remain accused will now be prosecuted under the lesser stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, or UAPA, for their role in the bombing that had brought to fore the so-called "right-wing terror" in India. Most of the accused in such terror cases were linked to Hindutva groups, including the Rashtriya Jagran Manch and Abhinav Bharat.
     
    The accused given clean chit on Friday include the Sadhvi, Shiv Narain Kalsangra, Shyam Bhavarlal Sahu, Pravin Takkalki alias Mutalik, Lokesh Sharma and Dhan Singh Choudhury.
     
    "During investigations, sufficient evidences have not been found against (the accused) and the NIA has submitted in the final report that the prosecution against them is not maintainable," the NIA said, after public prosecutor Geeta Godambe filed the charge sheet in the court of Special Judge S.D. Tekale.
     
    The premier terror probe agency said no offence was established under the MCOCA in this case against anybody and the NIA made it clear that it didn't not rely on the confessionals recorded by the Mumbai Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) under the law.
     
    The Sadhvi's lawyer Sanjiv Punalekar told IANS that the NIA had decided to drop charges against his client due to lack of sufficient evidences against her.
     
    "The charges against the six accused have been dropped while the charge sheet is being filed against the other remaining accused," Punalekar told IANS.
     
    The six accused are likely to be released from prisons soon, he told reporters.
     
    The Malegaon 2008 blast was the first terror case involving the hitherto unknown "Hindu extremists" and was initially investigated by police and later by the ATS led by its chief Hemant Karkare, who was killed in the November 26-28, 2008, Mumbai terror attacks.
     
    In April 2011, the case went to the NIA which was formed in 2009, months after the Mumbai carnage. The NIA earlier had maintained the list of 14 accused named by the ATS. Two more - Ramchandra Kalsangra and Sadeep Dange - had been declared absconding.
     
    The NIA took charge of the Malegaon case in view of its nationwide ramifications and because of the involvement of the accused who were also wanted in other terror cases in different parts of the country.
     
    The Malegaon blast case probe had riled the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other right-wing groups, accusing the then Congress-led government of giving religious colour to terrorism by going after Hindutva activists without any evidence against them.
     
    On Friday when the charges against the main accused were dropped, the Congress' Digvijaya Singh hit out at the NIA and the BJP-led government for safeguarding "terrorists". He also lashed out at the NIA for invalidating Hemant Karkare's probe. 
     
    "They are saying that Karkare filed a wrong report. We know you want to safeguard them (the accused) and we also know you have links with those who are involved in terror activities. They should at least spare a martyr," Digvijay Singh said. 
     
    But the government denied there was any political interference in probe. 
     
    Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said: "The law is taking its natural course. The investigators now have the freedom to investigate without pressure unlike during the previous regime."

    MORE India ARTICLES

    NDTV Reporter Heckled, Called A Prostitute At Anupam Kher's Tolerance March

    NDTV Reporter Heckled, Called A Prostitute At Anupam Kher's Tolerance March
    Some media persons were heckled by participants in the march organised by actor Anupam Kher to counter the protests by writers and artistes against “rising intolerance” in the country.

    NDTV Reporter Heckled, Called A Prostitute At Anupam Kher's Tolerance March

    Indian Maid Whose Hand Was Chopped Off Returns From Saudi Arabia

    Indian Maid Whose Hand Was Chopped Off Returns From Saudi Arabia
    Kasthuri Munirathanam, the 58-year-old Indian maid whose right hand was allegedly chopped off by her employer in Saudi Arabia, returned to Chennai on Saturday.

    Indian Maid Whose Hand Was Chopped Off Returns From Saudi Arabia

    Modi Opens Purse Strings For J&K, Announces Rs.80,000 Crore Package

    Modi Opens Purse Strings For J&K, Announces Rs.80,000 Crore Package
    Modi, during his day-long visit to the state, invoked ex-prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's three-point formula to resolve the Kashmir issue.

    Modi Opens Purse Strings For J&K, Announces Rs.80,000 Crore Package

    S. Anand Kumar, First Dalit To Scale Mount Everest But Still A Victim Of Ragging!

    S. Anand Kumar, First Dalit To Scale Mount Everest But Still A Victim Of Ragging!
    The 18-year-old, who is doing BA, was ragged by two of his seniors. The incident occured in the college library on Tuesday but came to light on Friday

    S. Anand Kumar, First Dalit To Scale Mount Everest But Still A Victim Of Ragging!

    South Asian Body Outraged Over Mistrial In Indian Grandfather's Case

    South Asian Body Outraged Over Mistrial In Indian Grandfather's Case
    A leading South Asian community organisation has expressed "outrage" over the declaration of a second mistrial in the case of an Alabama police officer charged with slamming an Indian grandfather to the ground.

    South Asian Body Outraged Over Mistrial In Indian Grandfather's Case

    BJP-led Alliance Will Win Bihar Polls, Says NDTV Exit Poll

    BJP-led Alliance Will Win Bihar Polls, Says NDTV Exit Poll
    The BJP and its allies are predicted to nudge ahead of the Grand Alliance to win the Bihar assembly polls, said exit poll by NDTV released on Friday.

    BJP-led Alliance Will Win Bihar Polls, Says NDTV Exit Poll