Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Sadhvi Pragnya, Five Accused Let Off In Malegaon Terror Blast

The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2016 11:01 AM
    In a complete about turn, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Friday gave a clean chit to Malegaon blast key accused Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur and five others, paving the way for their early release from prison.
     
    However, eight more accused, including LT. Colonel Prasad Srikant Purohit, will continue to be prosecuted for their role in the September 29, 2008 terror bombing that claimed at least seven lives in the Muslim majority town of Maharashtra's Nashik district.
     
    The NIA in its supplementary charge-sheet filed before a special court here decided to drop terror charges under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against all the accused, an official said. Confessions made before a police officer are admissible in a court under the dreaded law.
     
    Those who remain accused will now be prosecuted under the lesser stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, or UAPA, for their role in the bombing that had brought to fore the so-called "right-wing terror" in India. Most of the accused in such terror cases were linked to Hindutva groups, including the Rashtriya Jagran Manch and Abhinav Bharat.
     
    The accused given clean chit on Friday include the Sadhvi, Shiv Narain Kalsangra, Shyam Bhavarlal Sahu, Pravin Takkalki alias Mutalik, Lokesh Sharma and Dhan Singh Choudhury.
     
    "During investigations, sufficient evidences have not been found against (the accused) and the NIA has submitted in the final report that the prosecution against them is not maintainable," the NIA said, after public prosecutor Geeta Godambe filed the charge sheet in the court of Special Judge S.D. Tekale.
     
    The premier terror probe agency said no offence was established under the MCOCA in this case against anybody and the NIA made it clear that it didn't not rely on the confessionals recorded by the Mumbai Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) under the law.
     
    The Sadhvi's lawyer Sanjiv Punalekar told IANS that the NIA had decided to drop charges against his client due to lack of sufficient evidences against her.
     
    "The charges against the six accused have been dropped while the charge sheet is being filed against the other remaining accused," Punalekar told IANS.
     
    The six accused are likely to be released from prisons soon, he told reporters.
     
    The Malegaon 2008 blast was the first terror case involving the hitherto unknown "Hindu extremists" and was initially investigated by police and later by the ATS led by its chief Hemant Karkare, who was killed in the November 26-28, 2008, Mumbai terror attacks.
     
    In April 2011, the case went to the NIA which was formed in 2009, months after the Mumbai carnage. The NIA earlier had maintained the list of 14 accused named by the ATS. Two more - Ramchandra Kalsangra and Sadeep Dange - had been declared absconding.
     
    The NIA took charge of the Malegaon case in view of its nationwide ramifications and because of the involvement of the accused who were also wanted in other terror cases in different parts of the country.
     
    The Malegaon blast case probe had riled the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other right-wing groups, accusing the then Congress-led government of giving religious colour to terrorism by going after Hindutva activists without any evidence against them.
     
    On Friday when the charges against the main accused were dropped, the Congress' Digvijaya Singh hit out at the NIA and the BJP-led government for safeguarding "terrorists". He also lashed out at the NIA for invalidating Hemant Karkare's probe. 
     
    "They are saying that Karkare filed a wrong report. We know you want to safeguard them (the accused) and we also know you have links with those who are involved in terror activities. They should at least spare a martyr," Digvijay Singh said. 
     
    But the government denied there was any political interference in probe. 
     
    Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said: "The law is taking its natural course. The investigators now have the freedom to investigate without pressure unlike during the previous regime."

    MORE India ARTICLES

    Oops Moment! Bengaluru Girls Embarrass Rahul Gandhi

    Oops Moment! Bengaluru Girls Embarrass Rahul Gandhi
    Girls of a convent college here embarrassed Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday by endorsing Prime Minister Narendra Modi's pet initiatives Clean India (Swacchha Bharat) and Make in India.

    Oops Moment! Bengaluru Girls Embarrass Rahul Gandhi

    Swiss Account Row: Amarinder Singh Rebuts Charge, Akalis Ask Him To Quit

    Swiss Account Row: Amarinder Singh Rebuts Charge, Akalis Ask Him To Quit
    Swiss bank authorities have asked Amarinder's wife and former union minister Preneet Kaur and son, Raninder Singh, to exercise their "right to be heard" before sharing information on bank accounts in Switzerland 

    Swiss Account Row: Amarinder Singh Rebuts Charge, Akalis Ask Him To Quit

    AAP MP Bhagwant Mann Challenges Sukhbir Badal, Other Leaders For Dope Test

    AAP MP Bhagwant Mann Challenges Sukhbir Badal, Other Leaders For Dope Test
    "Just by getting effigies (of your opponents) burnt by your sycophants will not solve anything. Know the ground reality, Mr Badal," Mann said.

    AAP MP Bhagwant Mann Challenges Sukhbir Badal, Other Leaders For Dope Test

    Guru Nanak Dev Jayanti: Religious Fervour Marks Gurpurab In Punjab, Haryana

    Guru Nanak Dev Jayanti: Religious Fervour Marks Gurpurab In Punjab, Haryana
    Thousands of devout thronged the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar from early morning to offer prayers.

    Guru Nanak Dev Jayanti: Religious Fervour Marks Gurpurab In Punjab, Haryana

    AAP asks BJP to expel MLA, Alka Lamba seeks his disqualification

    The Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday stepped up its attack on BJP legislator O.P. Sharma for his "derogatory remark" about AAP lawmaker Alka Lamba, who sought his disqualification as member of the Delhi assembly.

    AAP asks BJP to expel MLA, Alka Lamba seeks his disqualification

    Punjab To Dedicate War Memorial To Country On August 15: Parkash Singh Badal

    Punjab To Dedicate War Memorial To Country On August 15: Parkash Singh Badal
    The Punjab government will dedicate the Punjab state war memorial-cum-museum at Amritsar to the nation on August 15 next year, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said on Tuesday.

    Punjab To Dedicate War Memorial To Country On August 15: Parkash Singh Badal