Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Vijay Mallya moves Karnataka HC seeking loan recovery details, banks issued notice

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Feb, 2025 04:32 PM
  • Vijay Mallya moves Karnataka HC seeking loan recovery details, banks issued notice

Bengaluru, Feb 5 (IANS) Fugitive liquor baron Vijay Mallya approached the Karnataka High Court on Wednesday seeking direction to banks to provide details of the total amount recovered against loans obtained by him, United Breweries Holdings Limited (UBHL, now in liquidation).

Considering the plea, the High Court has issued notices to concerned banks in this regard.

The bench headed by Justice R. Devadas passed the order issuing notices to banks, and recovery officers and adjourned the matter till February 19.

Senior counsel Sajan Poovayya appearing for Vijay Mallya submitted to the court that the loan amount to be paid was Rs 6,200 crore, whereas Rs 10,200 crore has been recovered so far. In spite of the complete recovery of the loan amount, the process of recovery is continued by the banks and hence the banks should be issued with notices to furnish accounts of the recovered amount.

Further, the counsel argued that no order has been made towards whether a primary amount has been paid or not and requested an interim stay order halting the process of the loan recovery process. It was also prayed that to stay further sales of the petitioner’s assets in possession with them.

Counsel Sajan Poovayya further submitted that, as of date, the recovery officer has confirmed the payment of Rs 10,200 crore. The official liquidator claims that the banks have restored their money. A statement was made on the floor of the Parliament by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman that Rs 14,000 crore was recovered, he claimed.

The notice has been issued to officers attached to the Loan Recovery Tribunal of Chennai, State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India, The Federal Bank Limited, IDBI Bank Limited, Indian Overseas Bank, Jammu and Kashmir Bank Limited, Punjab and Sindh Bank, Punjab National Bank, UCO Bank, JM Financial Asset Reconstruction Company Private Limited and official liquidator of the UBHL, according to sources.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai
Six children were injured after a bomb kept in an abandoned house exploded in Bihar’s Begusarai district on Tuesday afternoon. The victims have been identified as Nitish Kumar, Sintu Kumar, Bhulli Kumari, Ankush Kumar, Swati Kumari and one more child whose identity could not be ascertained.  

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah
A delegation of Congress on Tuesday met the Election Commission and sought action against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah over violation of the Model Code of Conduct for their remarks on its party leaders despite submitting a complaint few days ago. The party said that it is as much the credibility of the Commission which is a stake as of the Model Code of Conduct.

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius
The air quality in the national Capital continued to remain under the ‘very poor’ category on Tuesday evening with the AQI at 318, according to data from the System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research (SAFAR). Meanwhile the India Meteorological Department said that the maximum temperature in the national Capital was registered at 22 degrees Celsius, four notches below the seasonal average.

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday said that he was relieved as all the 41 trapped workers from the under-construction Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand were rescued safely. He said that it was a well coordinated effort by multiple agencies marking one of the most significant rescue operations in recent years.  

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses
The operation to rescue 41 workers trapped inside the collapsed Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district was halted after the platform supporting the auger machine which is drilling through the debris collapsed on Thursday evening. Girish Singh Rawat, one of the members of the rescue operation team, said: "Drilling cannot be done until the platform is ready. It may take five to six hours to get the platform ready."

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed
The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) said that 100 km of viaducts were ready for the 508 km of the mega Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor project while 250 km of pier work has been completed. The NHSRCL said that on November 25, 2021 first girder was launched while the first km of viaduct was completed on June 30, 2022 in a span of six months.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed