Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
Interesting

25% Of Vancouver Homes Could Be Torn Down By 2030, New UBC Study Finds

Darpan News Desk, 21 Feb, 2017 12:49 PM
    VANCOUVER — An architecture professor at the University of British Columbia says about a quarter of detached homes in Vancouver could be torn down in just over a decade.
     
    Joseph Dahmen has created a tool that forecasts how many homes could be demolished in the city by 2030 — victims of the recent surge in property values.
     
    Dahmen's tool estimates what he calls relative building value, which is how much a home is worth relative to the value of the land it sits on.
     
    His research finds older homes have lower values when compared with land prices, and a falling relative home value means it stands a greater chance of being razed and replaced.
     
    Given the recent, rapid rise of Vancouver real estate values, half the single-family homes in the city already have relative values below 7.5 per cent, which Dahmen and fellow number crunchers say creates a more than 50/50 chance the house will face the wrecking ball.
     
     
    They say that by 2030, if relatives values continue to plummet, 25 per cent of all single-family homes could be replaced with houses that maximize size.
     
    "It's not clear how that will help affordability," says fellow researcher and mathematician Jens von Bergmann in a release.
     
    "We should ask ourselves how to replace these teardowns with more units of ground-oriented, family-friendly homes on each lot."
     
    Dahmen and von Bergmann developed the teardown predictor tool using municipal data and B.C. Assessment records on detached homes bought and sold in Vancouver between 2005 and 2015.
     
    A news release from the University of British Columbia says the two compared land value, building value and lot size with variables such as whether the property had been torn down a couple of years before or after the sale.

    MORE Interesting ARTICLES

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary
    Ontario Provincial Police say they were called to the restaurant in Terrace Bay on Wednesday after the animals entered an open back door and started causing damage.

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism
    He is 51 and physically challenged. But nothing will stop E.D. Baburaj of Kuttanad from swimming 25 km non-stop on October 14 to campaign against what he calls the sinister menace of terrorism.

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo
    The editor-in-chief of Norways biggest daily newspaper has criticised Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg over his role in deleting an article from Aftenposten's Facebook page containing a historic image from the Vietnam war.

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU
    Online education start-up BYJU's has raised $50 million (about $332.3 crore) from a clutch of investors, led by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) and Sequoia Capital.

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road
    ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Thomas Trapp sells new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Germany, but for the next two weeks he'll be riding 3,300 miles coast to coast in the United States, aboard one made 102 years ago.

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road

    He Sexually Abused Her As A Child. She Became A Police Officer And Hunted Him Down

    He Sexually Abused Her As A Child. She Became A Police Officer And Hunted Him Down
    When Erlis Chaisson met with the now grown woman he abused as a child, he had no idea she was recording his confessionA woman who was sexually abused from the age of eight has seen her attacker put behind bars 15 years later, after she became a police officer and secretly taped his confession.

    He Sexually Abused Her As A Child. She Became A Police Officer And Hunted Him Down