Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
Interesting

Balaclava Rapist's Day Parole Extended But Tightly Restricted: Parole Board

Darpan News Desk, 14 Feb, 2017 01:31 PM
    VANCOUVER — The parole board has been keeping a tight rein on the man known as the balaclava rapist since he was granted day parole last year, newly released documents reveal.
     
    Larry Takahashi is serving three life sentences after pleading guilty to 14 charges involving 23 victims, although a parole board decision says he has admitted to sexually assaulting many more victims in Edmonton in the 1970s and 1980s.
     
    Takahashi, who's now 64, was granted day parole in British Columbia last July after spending most of the last 30 years in prison. He lives in a residential facility somewhere in Metro Vancouver.
     
    While his day parole has been extended for another six months, the decision released Monday says he hardly ventures out and when he does his movements are tightly controlled by his supervisors.
     
    "Your parole supervisor has issued you specific instructions that restrict your movements, whereabouts and associations, and you are subject to electronic monitoring and a curfew," says the parole board decision dated Jan. 27.
     
    The decision also says that police are actively involved in managing his case.
     
    In the decision, the two board members list their concerns with his release, such as his capability of extreme violence and continuing sexual fantasies about rape, but they also note that Takahashi now understands the impact his crimes had on the victims. 
     
    "You had not been violent in years, and your progress was observable and measurable," the board members say. 
     
     
    As part of his sentence, he was required to get counselling and have weekly meetings with a mental health worker, which are ongoing, along with the completion of a sex offender maintenance program.
     
    A report from the program to the parole board suggests Takahashi has developed the ability and commitment to manage his risk factors.
     
    "The report suggests you are less self-centred and now have remorse and victim empathy," the parole board decision says.
     
    The decision says Takahashi did not leave his residential facility for six weeks after his parole was granted in July because of negative media attention, and since then he only leaves the facility escorted for a few hours at a time and doesn't travel far.
     
    His "highly structured release plan" has a long list of restrictions, including reporting any sexual or non-sexual relationships with women to his parole supervisor and being prohibited from travelling in vehicles with women other than a bus or SkyTrain. The SkyTrain is the rapid transit route connecting the Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and Surrey. 
     
    Takahashi's other parole conditions include staying away from college or university residential areas without prior permission, not to having access to pornography or sexually explicit material, and abstaining from non-prescribed drugs or alcohol.
     
    The parole board decision says overnight parole privileges were considered but were not authorized because of Takahashi's history of failing to adhere to parole requirements in 2005 and his moderate to high risk to reoffend.
     
    The board says he needs "to establish a longer period of compliance and stability" before overnight privileges can be allowed.

    MORE Interesting ARTICLES

    Grumpy Looking Insta-Famous Dog Helps Pay Owner's Tuition Fee

    Grumpy Looking Insta-Famous Dog Helps Pay Owner's Tuition Fee
    Jasmine Milton, 20, from Shropshire bought her two-year- old pup Anuko as a way of helping her battle with her bipolar disorder.

    Grumpy Looking Insta-Famous Dog Helps Pay Owner's Tuition Fee

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary
    Ontario Provincial Police say they were called to the restaurant in Terrace Bay on Wednesday after the animals entered an open back door and started causing damage.

    Bears Wander Into Northern Ontario Restaurant, Sow Killed, Cubs Taken To Sanctuary

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism
    He is 51 and physically challenged. But nothing will stop E.D. Baburaj of Kuttanad from swimming 25 km non-stop on October 14 to campaign against what he calls the sinister menace of terrorism.

    Disabled Kerala Swimmer To Campaign Against Terrorism

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo
    The editor-in-chief of Norways biggest daily newspaper has criticised Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg over his role in deleting an article from Aftenposten's Facebook page containing a historic image from the Vietnam war.

    Mark Zuckerberg Faces Flak After Facebook Removes 'Napalm Girl' Photo

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU
    Online education start-up BYJU's has raised $50 million (about $332.3 crore) from a clutch of investors, led by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) and Sequoia Capital.

    Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropic Arm Leads $50 Million Investment Into BYJU

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road
    ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Thomas Trapp sells new Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Germany, but for the next two weeks he'll be riding 3,300 miles coast to coast in the United States, aboard one made 102 years ago.

    100 Years, 3,300 Miles: Vintage Motorcycles Hitting The Road