Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
Interesting

Indian-Origin NASA Scientist Detained By US Officials, Forced To Unlock Phone

Darpan News Desk IANS, 14 Feb, 2017 01:25 PM
    A US-born NASA scientist of Indian-origin was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officials and was not permitted to enter the country unless he unlocked his PIN-protected work phone.
     
    Sidd Bikkannavar, who works in NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), was detained on January 30, upon returning to the US from Santiago, Chile, a US media network, the Verge, reported.
     
    Bikkannavar said he was pressured to give the CBP agents his phone and access PIN. Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn't supposed to be shared. Bikkannavar's phone was returned to him after it was searched by CBP, but he doesn't know exactly what information officials might have taken from the device.
     
    Bikkannavar is a natural-born US citizen enrolled in CBP's Global Entry programme, which allowed participants who have undergone a background check to speed up their entry into the US. 
     
    He had not visited any of the countries mentioned in Donald Trump's Muslim travel ban, but Bikkannavar told the Verge that agents may have become suspicious about his family name, which is southern Indian.
     
    The JPL scientist returned to the US four days after the signing of a sweeping and controversial executive order on travel into the country. The travel ban caused chaos at airports across the US, as people with visas and green cards found themselves detained, or facing deportation. 
     
    Within days of its signing, the travel order was stayed, but not before more than 60,000 visas were revoked, according to the US State Department.
     
     
    "Sorry for my absence. On my way back home to the US last weekend, I was detained by Homeland Security and held with others who were stranded under the Muslim ban," he wrote on Facebook.
     
    "CBP officers seized my phone and wouldn't release me until I gave them my access PIN for them to copy the data. I initially refused since it's a JPL-issued phone and I must protect access."
     
    He added: "Just to be clear -- I'm a US-born citizen and NASA engineer, traveliing with a valid US-visa." 
     
    Bikkannavar said he was eventually released. His employers gave him a new phone.
     
    According to the Verge, Bikkannavar was yet to receive an explanation for why he was stopped at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport. 
     
    He had travelled to South America for personal reasons, pursuing his hobby of racing solar-powered cars. He had recently joined a Chilean team.
     
    "It was not that they were concerned with me bringing something dangerous in, because they didn't even touch the bags," he said.
     
    "They had no way of knowing I could have had something in there. You can say, 'Okay well maybe it's about making sure I'm not a dangerous person', but they have all the information to verify that."
     
    Earlier this week, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said in a statement that people visiting the US may be asked to give up passwords to their social media accounts. 
     
    "We want to get on their social media, with passwords: What do you do, what do you say," Kelly told the House Homeland Security Committee. "If they don't want to cooperate, then you don't come in."

    MORE Interesting ARTICLES

    'Selfie Elbow' Condition Waiting To Afflict Indians

    Although India is yet to know about many "Selfie Elbow" patients, the selfie obsession is here to stay.

    'Selfie Elbow' Condition Waiting To Afflict Indians

    B.C.. Man Who Could Be 'Last' Canadian On Quiz Show 'Jeopardy' Just $200 Shy Of Win

    Millman says he was just reaching the 18 month expiry date on his application to be on the show. 

    B.C.. Man Who Could Be 'Last' Canadian On Quiz Show 'Jeopardy' Just $200 Shy Of Win

    New Zealander Quits Job To Become Full-time Pokemon Hunter

    New Zealander Quits Job To Become Full-time Pokemon Hunter
    Tom Currie, 24, quit his job at Hibiscus Cafe in Auckland, to embark on a two month tour of New Zealand, with the aim of capturing all of the Pokemon released on smartphone game Pokemon Go last week.

    New Zealander Quits Job To Become Full-time Pokemon Hunter

    Indian-Origin Schoolgirl Raises Funds To Distribute Free LED Bulbs To Poor

    Indian-Origin Schoolgirl Raises Funds To Distribute Free LED Bulbs To Poor
    Meera Vashisht, an Indian-origin girl living in the US, has raised around Rs. 1.4 lakh through crowd funding to distribute LED bulbs to underprivileged sections in India.

    Indian-Origin Schoolgirl Raises Funds To Distribute Free LED Bulbs To Poor

    Prince Harry Takes Instant HIV Test; Results Are Fine

    Prince Harry Takes Instant HIV Test; Results Are Fine
    LONDON — Britain's Prince Harry has taken a nearly instant HIV test as part of his campaign to raise awareness about the virus.

    Prince Harry Takes Instant HIV Test; Results Are Fine

    Police Forces Across Canada Warn Of Risks Involved With Playing Pokemon Go

    Police Forces Across Canada Warn Of Risks Involved With Playing Pokemon Go
    TORONTO — Police forces across Canada are warning of the risks involved in playing augmented reality games such as Pokemon Go as reports mount of people getting injured or landing in trouble as they play the wildly popular game.

    Police Forces Across Canada Warn Of Risks Involved With Playing Pokemon Go