Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Afghan Peace Talks: Taliban Agrees To Reduce Violence

Darpan News Desk IANS, 09 Jul, 2019 09:16 PM

    The Taliban has agreed to reduce violence by stopping attacks on "religious centres, schools, hospitals, educational centres, bazaars, water dams and workplaces" in Afghanistan, that could expedite the end of the 18-year war in the war-torn nation, the media reported on Tuesday.


    The agreement taken at the Intra-Afghan Dialogue Conference on Peace in Doha on Monday night came in the form of a resolution prepared by a committee of six members from Kabul and three members from the Taliban, reports TOLO News.


    The participants from Kabul from politicians, civil society members, and government officials. They attended the intra-Afghan talks with their personal capacity.


    The resolution also called for an end to civilian casualties and the protection of women's rights within an "Islamic framework".


    Meanwhile, Mutlaq bin Majid Al Qahtani, the Special Envoy of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar, hailed the success of intra-Afghan dialogue in Doha as the first step into the "journey of a thousand miles", Khaama Press reported.


    Qahtani said the resolution might be a first step to find an understanding between the conflicting parties.


    He hoped that this event would mark the beginning of a meaningful process leading to a comprehensive and sustainable peace in Afghanistan.


    The non-binding agreement comes as the seventh round of talks between American negotiators and the insurgents is expected to resume later on Tuesday.


    The two-sides hope to reach an agreement that would see US troops withdraw in return for a commitment that Afghanistan would not be used as a terror base.


    The Taliban has refused to hold direct negotiations with the Afghan government until the US announces a timetable for the withdrawal.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    My Dad Emigrated From Cuba Alone At 16, His Grit Is Inspiring: Jeff Bezos

    Mike Bezos, father of the richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos, was just 16 when he boarded a flight in Cuba for Miami, a city in Florida, US.

    My Dad Emigrated From Cuba Alone At 16, His Grit Is Inspiring: Jeff Bezos

    Indian-Origin Man In US Accused Of Wire Fraud Worth $98 Million

    Indian-Origin Man In US Accused Of Wire Fraud Worth $98 Million
    The man, Gopalkrishna Pai, disguised his involvement and use of over 100 companies formed to facilitate the processing of approximately $98 million in gross revenue.  

    Indian-Origin Man In US Accused Of Wire Fraud Worth $98 Million

    Sri Lanka School Principal, Teacher Arrested For Link To Terror Attack

    The police said the two suspects had direct links to the National Thawheed Jamaath, the terror group that Sri Lanka has blamed for the bombings that killed over 250 people.  

    Sri Lanka School Principal, Teacher Arrested For Link To Terror Attack

    HMS Queen Elizabeth Captain Sacked From Post Over Official Car 'Misuse': Reports

    The Royal Navy confirmed that Commodore Nick Cooke-Priest, 50, had been reassigned to a new role, without giving a reason  

    HMS Queen Elizabeth Captain Sacked From Post Over Official Car 'Misuse': Reports

    Muslim Leaders Call For United Sri Lankan Identity

    Sri Lankan Muslim leaders have called for one united identity of the island nation while expressing solidarity with the victims of the April 21 Easter Sunday terror attacks and those affected by the recent spate of violence.

    Muslim Leaders Call For United Sri Lankan Identity

    ‘Build America’ Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan

    ‘Build America’ Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan
    Every year the US issues nearly 1.1 million green cards, which gives foreign nationals life-time permission to live and work in the US and a path to citizenship in five years.  

    ‘Build America’ Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan