Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2022 01:34 PM
  • After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Wellington, Nov 29 (IANS) Close on the heels of dairy worker Jayesh Patel's fatal stabbing in Auckland last week, an Indian-origin store owner was targeted in New Zealand, and his staff was attacked by four young men.

In a terrifying armed robbery, Sidhu Naresh, a vape store owner in Hamilton, said a staff worker was made to kneel on the ground "and a knife put to his neck", the NZ Herald reported on Monday.

Naresh said his store was targeted last week in an armed attack by four young men, and this is not the first time that it had been zeroed-in by robbers.

"My staff was made to kneel and a knife was put to his neck," the paper quoted Naresh as saying in Newstalk ZB.

"They came and smashed everything, every single one of the cabinets, and they walked away with the till."

The paper reported Naresh as saying that a courier who tried to stop the offenders was injured during the raid, and at least NZ$4,000 in cash was stolen.

He was told by his staff that the robbers were "not more than 16 years old".

The attack came even as New Zealand announced new measures to counter retail crime, post Patel's death.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday that shop owners can get a NZ$4,000 subsidy to install fog cannons in their shops to stop burglaries.

"Every time something like this happens the government comes in and starts giving you this funding and that funding," Naresh told Newstalk ZB.

Nationwide protests were held across New Zealand on Monday with store owners and workers questioning their safety after Patel's death.

Most of the dairy owners and workers said they fear going to work after Patel's brutal killing.

The 34 year-old was stabbed multiple times when he confronted a robber who stole a cash register from the store at Rose Cottage Superette in Sandringham, Auckland, where he worked, IANS reported earlier.

He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital, leading police to launch a 48-hour manhunt resulting in the arrest of two men who were charged with murder and aggravated robbery.

A third arrest was made on Sunday, in which a 36-year-old man charged with robbery, was granted interim name suppression and was remanded in custody.

His bail hearing has been set for December 5 in the Auckland District Court.

MORE International ARTICLES

Sikh Priest In New Zealand Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing Children In Auckland Gurdwara Complex

The two victims were aged eight and 12 years old when Singh lured them, separately, into quiet rooms within a West Auckland gurdwara and groped their bottoms. The assaults happened in 2017.  

Sikh Priest In New Zealand Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing Children In Auckland Gurdwara Complex

Hindu Priest Attacked Near Temple In New York Days After Trump’s ‘Go Back’ Tweet

Top Indian diplomats in the US have expressed gratitude to the authorities for their support and quick action following the attack on a Hindu priest in the New York City borough of Queens.

Hindu Priest Attacked Near Temple In New York Days After Trump’s ‘Go Back’ Tweet

Indian-Origin Comedian Manjunath Naidu Dies On Stage In Dubai; Audience Thinks It's Part Of Act

The performer, originally from Chennai, passed away from a reported cardiac arrest on July 19 at the Signature Hotel. 

Indian-Origin Comedian Manjunath Naidu Dies On Stage In Dubai; Audience Thinks It's Part Of Act

Khalsa Aid’s Ravi Singh Apologises On Behalf Of The Sikh Community For 'Sikhs For Trump'

Ravi Singh of Khalsa Aid is apologising on the behalf of the Sikh community after photos of men in Sikhs for Trump community cropped up online. 

Khalsa Aid’s Ravi Singh Apologises On Behalf Of The Sikh Community For 'Sikhs For Trump'

Aid To Pak To Stay 'Suspended', Says US Report Ahead Of Imran Khan Visit

At the direction of US President Donald Trump, the United States had suspended all its security assistance to Pakistan in January 2018. This is first high-level visit by a Pakistani prime minster to the White House during the Trump administration.  

Aid To Pak To Stay 'Suspended', Says US Report Ahead Of Imran Khan Visit

Runaway Indian Boy Mohammed Pervez In Sharjah Returns Home

A 15-year-old Indian boy, who sneaked out of his home in Sharjah over two weeks ago after apparently being scolded by his mother, returned home to his family here on Friday.

Runaway Indian Boy Mohammed Pervez In Sharjah Returns Home