Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
International

After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2022 01:34 PM
  • After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Wellington, Nov 29 (IANS) Close on the heels of dairy worker Jayesh Patel's fatal stabbing in Auckland last week, an Indian-origin store owner was targeted in New Zealand, and his staff was attacked by four young men.

In a terrifying armed robbery, Sidhu Naresh, a vape store owner in Hamilton, said a staff worker was made to kneel on the ground "and a knife put to his neck", the NZ Herald reported on Monday.

Naresh said his store was targeted last week in an armed attack by four young men, and this is not the first time that it had been zeroed-in by robbers.

"My staff was made to kneel and a knife was put to his neck," the paper quoted Naresh as saying in Newstalk ZB.

"They came and smashed everything, every single one of the cabinets, and they walked away with the till."

The paper reported Naresh as saying that a courier who tried to stop the offenders was injured during the raid, and at least NZ$4,000 in cash was stolen.

He was told by his staff that the robbers were "not more than 16 years old".

The attack came even as New Zealand announced new measures to counter retail crime, post Patel's death.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday that shop owners can get a NZ$4,000 subsidy to install fog cannons in their shops to stop burglaries.

"Every time something like this happens the government comes in and starts giving you this funding and that funding," Naresh told Newstalk ZB.

Nationwide protests were held across New Zealand on Monday with store owners and workers questioning their safety after Patel's death.

Most of the dairy owners and workers said they fear going to work after Patel's brutal killing.

The 34 year-old was stabbed multiple times when he confronted a robber who stole a cash register from the store at Rose Cottage Superette in Sandringham, Auckland, where he worked, IANS reported earlier.

He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital, leading police to launch a 48-hour manhunt resulting in the arrest of two men who were charged with murder and aggravated robbery.

A third arrest was made on Sunday, in which a 36-year-old man charged with robbery, was granted interim name suppression and was remanded in custody.

His bail hearing has been set for December 5 in the Auckland District Court.

MORE International ARTICLES

Sexual Assault Accuser 'Not My Type', Says Trump

Sexual Assault Accuser 'Not My Type', Says Trump
US President Donald Trump has again denied allegations that he sexually assaulted a television show host and magazine columnist in the 1990s, saying "she's not my type".    

Sexual Assault Accuser 'Not My Type', Says Trump

Indian Family Abused On ‘Accents, Skin, Colour, Nationality’ On Train In Ireland

Prasun Bhattachrjee said the person had abused his family for their "skin colour, nationality and other things". He said he believed the man was drunk, the report said.  

Indian Family Abused On ‘Accents, Skin, Colour, Nationality’ On Train In Ireland

UK Sikhs Demand War Memorial For Martyred Community Members In WWI And WWII

Sikhs in the United Kingdom have demanded a war memorial to be dedicated to the martyred community members who fought for the British during World Wars I and II, a senior community member has said.

UK Sikhs Demand War Memorial For Martyred Community Members In WWI And WWII

UK Minister Mark Field Suspended For Assaulting Activist Who Gatecrashed Event

Mark Field was caught on camera getting up from his seat to confront a Greenpeace activist and forcing her towards the exit  

UK Minister Mark Field Suspended For Assaulting Activist Who Gatecrashed Event

China Rules Out India's Nuke Club NSG Entry Without Talks On Treaty

China was not blocking India's entry but only wanted to see rules and procedures of the NSG be followed, the country said.  

China Rules Out India's Nuke Club NSG Entry Without Talks On Treaty

Trump Says U.S. Was ‘Cocked & Loaded’ Against Iran, But He Backed Away From Attack Los Angeles Times

US President Donald Trump on Friday said the US military was "cocked and loaded to retaliate" against Iran, but he changed his mind 10 minutes before planned strikes.    

Trump Says U.S. Was ‘Cocked & Loaded’ Against Iran, But He Backed Away From Attack Los Angeles Times