Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
International

After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2022 01:34 PM
  • After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Wellington, Nov 29 (IANS) Close on the heels of dairy worker Jayesh Patel's fatal stabbing in Auckland last week, an Indian-origin store owner was targeted in New Zealand, and his staff was attacked by four young men.

In a terrifying armed robbery, Sidhu Naresh, a vape store owner in Hamilton, said a staff worker was made to kneel on the ground "and a knife put to his neck", the NZ Herald reported on Monday.

Naresh said his store was targeted last week in an armed attack by four young men, and this is not the first time that it had been zeroed-in by robbers.

"My staff was made to kneel and a knife was put to his neck," the paper quoted Naresh as saying in Newstalk ZB.

"They came and smashed everything, every single one of the cabinets, and they walked away with the till."

The paper reported Naresh as saying that a courier who tried to stop the offenders was injured during the raid, and at least NZ$4,000 in cash was stolen.

He was told by his staff that the robbers were "not more than 16 years old".

The attack came even as New Zealand announced new measures to counter retail crime, post Patel's death.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday that shop owners can get a NZ$4,000 subsidy to install fog cannons in their shops to stop burglaries.

"Every time something like this happens the government comes in and starts giving you this funding and that funding," Naresh told Newstalk ZB.

Nationwide protests were held across New Zealand on Monday with store owners and workers questioning their safety after Patel's death.

Most of the dairy owners and workers said they fear going to work after Patel's brutal killing.

The 34 year-old was stabbed multiple times when he confronted a robber who stole a cash register from the store at Rose Cottage Superette in Sandringham, Auckland, where he worked, IANS reported earlier.

He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital, leading police to launch a 48-hour manhunt resulting in the arrest of two men who were charged with murder and aggravated robbery.

A third arrest was made on Sunday, in which a 36-year-old man charged with robbery, was granted interim name suppression and was remanded in custody.

His bail hearing has been set for December 5 in the Auckland District Court.

MORE International ARTICLES

UK Court Rejects Diamond Merchant Nirav Modi’s Bail Plea

Judge Ingrid Simler at the Royal Courts of Justice said that there are substantial grounds to believe that Modi will fail to surrender.

UK Court Rejects Diamond Merchant Nirav Modi’s Bail Plea

Seven Indian-Origin Australians Receive Top Honours

Seven Indian-origin Australians, including three women, have received the country’s top honours for their significant contributions in the field of medicine, music, education and finance.

Seven Indian-Origin Australians Receive Top Honours

Indian-Origin Student, 8, In Dubai Collects 15,000 Kg Paper Waste: Report

An eight-year-old Indian expat student has collected nearly 15,000 kg of paper waste in Dubai as part of the Emirates Environmental Group's nationwide recycling campaign.

Indian-Origin Student, 8, In Dubai Collects 15,000 Kg Paper Waste: Report

Oman-Based Indian Wins Rs 6.9 Crore in Dubai Duty Free Millionaire Draw

Oman-Based Indian Wins Rs 6.9 Crore in Dubai Duty Free Millionaire Draw
An Oman-based Indian national on Tuesday won a $1 million jackpot in Dubai Duty Free Millennium Millionaire draw.

Oman-Based Indian Wins Rs 6.9 Crore in Dubai Duty Free Millionaire Draw

Sikhs Celebrate Michigan Board Vote to Improve Religious Literacy

Sikhs Celebrate Michigan Board Vote to Improve Religious Literacy
Today, the Michigan Board of Education voted to approve new social studies standards, which for the first time ever include Sikhism.

Sikhs Celebrate Michigan Board Vote to Improve Religious Literacy

Trump again takes aim at India's tariffs on Harley Davidson mobikes

Trump again takes aim at India's tariffs on Harley Davidson mobikes
The 50 per cent duty on Harley Davidson bikes imported into India is "unacceptable", Trump said when he phoned into a popular business TV programme.

Trump again takes aim at India's tariffs on Harley Davidson mobikes