Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2022 01:34 PM
  • After Patel's death, another Indian-origin retailer's store targeted in NZ

Wellington, Nov 29 (IANS) Close on the heels of dairy worker Jayesh Patel's fatal stabbing in Auckland last week, an Indian-origin store owner was targeted in New Zealand, and his staff was attacked by four young men.

In a terrifying armed robbery, Sidhu Naresh, a vape store owner in Hamilton, said a staff worker was made to kneel on the ground "and a knife put to his neck", the NZ Herald reported on Monday.

Naresh said his store was targeted last week in an armed attack by four young men, and this is not the first time that it had been zeroed-in by robbers.

"My staff was made to kneel and a knife was put to his neck," the paper quoted Naresh as saying in Newstalk ZB.

"They came and smashed everything, every single one of the cabinets, and they walked away with the till."

The paper reported Naresh as saying that a courier who tried to stop the offenders was injured during the raid, and at least NZ$4,000 in cash was stolen.

He was told by his staff that the robbers were "not more than 16 years old".

The attack came even as New Zealand announced new measures to counter retail crime, post Patel's death.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday that shop owners can get a NZ$4,000 subsidy to install fog cannons in their shops to stop burglaries.

"Every time something like this happens the government comes in and starts giving you this funding and that funding," Naresh told Newstalk ZB.

Nationwide protests were held across New Zealand on Monday with store owners and workers questioning their safety after Patel's death.

Most of the dairy owners and workers said they fear going to work after Patel's brutal killing.

The 34 year-old was stabbed multiple times when he confronted a robber who stole a cash register from the store at Rose Cottage Superette in Sandringham, Auckland, where he worked, IANS reported earlier.

He succumbed to his injuries in the hospital, leading police to launch a 48-hour manhunt resulting in the arrest of two men who were charged with murder and aggravated robbery.

A third arrest was made on Sunday, in which a 36-year-old man charged with robbery, was granted interim name suppression and was remanded in custody.

His bail hearing has been set for December 5 in the Auckland District Court.

MORE International ARTICLES

United States To Help India Curb Online Child Pornography

United States To Help India Curb Online Child Pornography
The MoU was signed by the National Crime Records Bureau of India and the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, USA recently.

United States To Help India Curb Online Child Pornography

3 Indians Charged In Million-Dollar Computer Service Fraud In US

3 Indians Charged In Million-Dollar Computer Service Fraud In US
Three Indians have been charged in a million-dollar fraud scheme in the US in which they remotely accessed computers belonging to senior citizens without authorisation,

3 Indians Charged In Million-Dollar Computer Service Fraud In US

After Being Named 'Divider-In-Chief', Time Magazine Now Says 'Modi Has United India'

Time magazine, which published a cover story before the Indian election calling Prime Minister Narendra Modi the “Divider in Chief”, 

After Being Named 'Divider-In-Chief', Time Magazine Now Says 'Modi Has United India'

US Will Work Closely With 'Great Ally' India: Trump Administration

US Will Work Closely With 'Great Ally' India: Trump Administration
State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus told reporters during an off-camera news conference here on Tuesday that the US was confident in the fairness and integrity of the just-concluded general elections in India.  

US Will Work Closely With 'Great Ally' India: Trump Administration

4 Computer Experts Arrested For Duping Over 100 US Citizens: Police

4 Computer Experts Arrested For Duping Over 100 US Citizens: Police
The quartet used to make random calls to US citizens and offered them technical help related to Microsoft Office, MS Window and printers and managed to obtain their personals details on the pretext of providing them requisite help, said Gurgaon Police Commissioner Mohamad Akil.

4 Computer Experts Arrested For Duping Over 100 US Citizens: Police

US Administration Removes India From Its Currency Monitoring List

US Administration Removes India From Its Currency Monitoring List
The Trump administration on Tuesday removed India from its currency monitoring list of major trading partners, citing certain developments and steps being taken by New Delhi which address some of its major concerns.    

US Administration Removes India From Its Currency Monitoring List